Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

In terms of dual vescs, is a CAN connection better, or is a PPM splitter better for redundancy?
Also, is the maytech anti-spark any good? And would I need one antispark for both escs, or one each?

1 Like

@b264 your favorite topic :grin:

4 Likes

Fuck flipsky :fu:

1 Like

Dual vesc gives you the option of “traction control.” If you dont want that you can use two receivers on the same remote for redundancy… You only need one anti spark for both escs

I’m not going to say what I think is better, but my last 2 motor build was neither of those. It was Dual PWM instead of Split PWM. So, like I said, not gonna say what I think is better. But it might be a fair bet that the way I make mine is likely to be the way I think is better.

2 Likes

Have you looked into a loopkey, and decided on an antispark, or have you not looked into using a loopkey?

One of either will power both ESCs.

1 Like

So if I understand correctly, that’s two independently bound receivers? Interesting 3rd possibility…
I really like the push-button start that my current setup has, so antispark is probably my method of choice.

1 Like

Yes

It keeps the two motors with in a determined erpm. So if one motor loses traction it will not spin up faster than the one that has traction. If it works has been argued, I believe it does tho.

2 Likes

Nope, mee too

1 Like

I believe it does as well. I felt something was off after I did a firmware update on my unity and traction control got ticked to off.

1 Like

Don’t forget to vote then :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah the only time I ate shit was without traction control and i can’t explain how, best guess is one wheel went over a slippery surface and must have spun up. Have used traction control ever since… I’ve noticed when purposely braking hard on dirt with urethane it sorts of drifts to one side slightly but then it kind of straightens itself out, if that’s traction control, idk.

1 Like

I have done several searches and I can’t seem to find much info on the differences between vesc 4.x and vesc 6.x. the only thing I have found is better heat sinking and it measures current on all 3 phase wires instead of calculating the third. What other improvements are there? Is ackmaniac esc tool compatible with vesc 6?

Find a focbox

Besides the obvious difficulty in sourcing 2 focboxes, the cost of doing so is a bit much for me…

I thought you were going single drive

1 Like

lmao no?
Dual singles :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit to clarify: I already have the board built, I just need to replace ESCs as my previous ones were hobby-type with no brakes.

1 Like

Regarding differences it’s a redesign using different DRV chip the 8301 in place of the 8302 that used to blow out above 60k erpm or 8500 motor rpm with a normal 7 pole pair motor. There may be other heat dissipation or component swaps that make it better able to handle higher voltage and amperage a bit more safely (without burning anything up)

If you want all the detailed differences think you can get the BOM for each and diff them or otherwise compare manually.

2 Likes

:rofl:

what a joke

@kellag

1 Like