Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

As long as red (positive 5v) and black (ground) are connected correctly, then the other three (usually green/yellow/blue) can be any which way - the vesc can unscramble them in software. If you’ve got an extra (usually white) wire, that’s for a thermistor.

1 Like

No worries, I definitely appreciate your honesty. I hope someday I’ll have the understanding that you guys do about this stuff. Everyone here seems to really dislike MBoards. I did have some initial trouble getting them to respond to me when I first bought my stuff, but once they did they were pretty helpful, and even let me exchange a few things when 2 VESC’s in a row stopped working. Where I’m at now, I’ll have to make the battery work until I can afford a new one. So I’ll give those settings that you guys are recommending a shot, and try to keep the board charged above 50% - I keep the charger in my backpack on a daily basis anyway.

1 Like

I still feel the same way towards the more experienced guys here. No matter how much you progress, there’s always a next level of understanding to shoot for, and that’s my favourite thing about the whole forum.

MBoards has burned/disappointed too many people to be considered a viable vendor option. I’m sure they have taken care of a few people properly along the way, but that’s not the job. Pay attention to how Dexter/Torqueboards handles his business on this forum. That’s where the bar is set.

I hope the new settings help you out.

7 Likes

Dropped a loop key in place of the antispark, only been on one ride but haven’t been able to replicate the problem. Was trying to as well in all the usual spots… fingers crossed

25 miles on the board now and no repeats of the problem despite my best efforts. Seems to be an issue with the flipsky antispark causing the power cut outs.
Thanks again
Thanks for everyone’s help

3 Likes

Just make one in the sell category

1 Like

Stick to this, and you’re golden.

Alright friends, today is the day, look what came in the mail:

Noob questions are going to be coming in thick and fast so apologies in advance.

First noob question. I purchased a Graupner 18 Ultramat from Trampa who couldnt supply Australian plugs so I got the UK version (they use the same power, just different plugs). I am probably being overly cautious here but am I all good to just swap the power cable with a Australian computer PSU cable I have? The UK plug is on the right, Australian on the left.

2 Likes

check the label on @Kellag 's charger, verify everything, then plug the f*%Ker in… what could possibly go wrong?

And since when are we Frank’s support crew… I want a VESC Teeshirt @Trampa

seriously it’s AC current as long as the ground is in the correct position it’s golden!

6 Likes

Any gear drives work with 9inch tyres like from mbs that require tri spoke or 5 star hubs?

Thanks @kook I plugged it in (without the battery) and shes looking good. I’ve messaged @Trampa but its 4:30am over there so I’m not expecting a reply soon.

Now the bit that really terrifies me. I have a 12s7p 30Q pack made up of two 6s7p packs. I need to choose the correct charge rate and the capacity of the pack in the charger settings.

Looking at the tutorials Trampa did for charging zippys, by my reckoning I ideally need to charge at 2.1A and 21000mAh. Looking at the specs of the charger though, it maxes out at 20000mAh so I will actually end up doing 2A and 20000mAh. Does this sound right?

If anyone happens to know their way around the ultramat 18 and could give me a charging cheat sheet that would be hugely appreciated.

A lithium charger should only matter what voltage V and current A (or mA) it’s charging at, but capacity Ah (or mAh) does not matter to the charger. Do you see that labeled somewhere? Got a photo? Why is the vendor not helping?

1 Like

Its 4.30am in the uk Brian.

6 Likes

@Trampa a free teeshirt for @b264 as well!

1 Like

I watched some more videos and connected it up and turned it on but I seem to be missing the Li-Ion program. Will get back to you after I figure this out.

4 Likes

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/912377/Graupner-Ultramat-Ac-Dc-Eq.html#manual

1 Like

Lipo Manual program, 20000mAh.
The mAh is a safety feature. It counts what you pumped in and shuts down charge when the count is done.

Balancer 1 carries the minus pole of the battery, Balancer 2 carries the plus pole of the battery.

A simultaneous push on the two middle buttons will display all individual cell voltages. ± let’s you skip through the cells.

You need a booster BTW. 500W 12V power supply will allow 6A charging.

4 Likes

when should I expect my new VESC teeshirt @Trampa?

2 Likes

Ok, just to confirm even though I have Li-Ion (30Q’s) I should use the Li-Po program?

Also, how do I know which is the minus and plus poles for the balancers?

A booster will come in time, I am already at $5500AUD so I need to save my pennies.

2 Likes

Not the same charger but trust me I am studying the one that came with it closely.

the balance plug should be keyed…
I.e. only fit in the charger one way… it also should have a - on one end your balance plug should go to that side… a good battery will have a black wire as -, maybe take a pik of your balance wire keys up and your balance connection port on your charger