Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Yes, that will work. Itā€™s a love it or hate it remote for many, though.

1 Like

aight, might aswell give it a shot then
if my friend doesnt like it we can still try something else

Can I somehow use metr and the vand at the same time ? I have a dual vesc6 setup

Please make sure to research that remote. I am on the hate it side.

You have to calibrate it by doing full throttle/ full brake EVERY SINGLE TIME you turn the remote on (before turning board on) or you risk wrecking.

Best of luck, mine got mechanically stuck in full throttle my first time using it.

3 Likes

that confuses me a bit, i was under the impression that the nanoX and the winning are the same remote just rebrandedā€¦
even the reciever looks the same, and i never had to recalibrate the winning so far

Here is a comprehensive review of many common remotes.

Canā€™t comment on it being the same remote but I can comment on having to set the fail safe every time. So can many others.

3 Likes

Some VESC 4.12 like from @torqueboards or Flipsky should work fine for that in BLDC mode. Just limit battery max to like 25A each side and you wonā€™t have any issues

1 Like

Figured Iā€™d throw this up here as well,
My build
Essentially 10S2P with two VESC 4.2

Having an issue where occasionally the VESCs will stop responding. The remote VX1 remains connected, the VESCs have power. But 5 seconds go by with no response to the remote then suddenly its back. In addition to that, Ive had two incidents where it did not resume normal operation after it stopped responding until the board was rebooted. All the while, the VX1 was showing connection to the VESCs.
This happens most frequently when I cross a set of trolley tracks (although its far from everytime) and occasionally at some intersections. Never while throttling, usually after braking, easing onto the throttle again and usually theres a small to moderate bump involved in the street surface that gives it a jolt as I roll across it.

I found that some 5.5mm bullets had touched the motors and worn insulation off from around them. Those have been replaced with MR60s and routed into the board, so theres not contact issues now. All of the wiring was just gone over. The VESCs are secured to the board, the JST connectors glued to the VESC, the wiring doesnā€™t move much. I even ran it will shaking all of the VESC wiring and wiggling plugs on the bench. I can not recreate this by bouncing the board, running it down a cobblestone street, or even going in the enclosure and shaking the harness.

It occurred twice today crossing the tracks and once at an intersection. One of those times, it did not resume afte 5 seconds. The only thing to correct that is a board reboot.
When it didnā€™t resume after 5 seconds, I called an uber and brought the board home to analyze in terminal on the VESC tool. The master VESC had only the blue light on, no green light and was unresponsive to the pc. The slave plugged right in. No faults on the slave, couldnā€™t connect to the master.
The second time it happened today I got a 5 second reboot and it came back to normal operation. I returned home without power cycling again and plugged in. This time the VESC blue and green lights were on for both. Both plugged in and connected normally, both reported no faults

Nothing seems to be loose. I cant replicate it.
I would assume a voltage spike or internal issue would be reported.
Something about the voltage of the overhead lines near the trolley tracks?

Maybe the flipsky antispark? It and the VESCs are secured in place inside the enclosure.

Any idea why the master didnā€™t reboot properly or hung with no green light on that one time?

Appreciate any insight guys, thanks a lot

2 Likes

Does it always happen in only those two spots? Try riding that same spot but donā€™t cross the tracks, just ride up to them and carry the board over them while running the wheel in the air. Does it cut out?

Is the power switch rattling loose and turning the board off for a split second like the Evolve power switches do sometimes?

Type ā€œfaultsā€ on the VESC terminal, are any errors logged?

1 Like

2 questions, but first an update!

Iā€™ve been riding my board with the settings I established 3 weeks ago, and for the most part things have been great. Braking is ideal, acceleration has been fine - most of the time. This evening, I was cruising, at about 75% throttle when unexpectedly, one motor stopped for just long enough to nearly buck me into oncoming traffic (estimating their speed to be at least 35mph based on the road). My battery was at 27% when this happened.

Last week, a different issue that seemed isolated to one day: under normal conditions, the motors would get stuck and twitch from 0% - 45% throttle with no sign of when or where, or frankly, why this was happening. My battery was at 55% and my brakes became incredibly soft. Seemed like a whole different programming of the VESC entirely, except I hadnā€™t changed anything. The next day, these issues were gone.

Right now my board is down to 20% and my brakes still seem to be almost at full strength, and no other issues have have shown up yet, but these little things (especially when they are so unexpected) are terrifying.

Any ideas as to what could be happening? I do have the VESC bluetooth thing hooked up, but I canā€™t seem to connect it to the iPhone App (Xmatic) and I could beforeā€¦so my second question isā€¦ how the heck do I re-pair that to the vesc/iphone app?

I go over that spot 4 times a day twice a week. Probably happens 2-3 out of the 8 times. Then im riding parallel and right under the wires. I even touched the motors and rear truck to the tracks to see if they were carrying some current and causing it. Couldnā€™t replicate it. I should mention it happens on the way there and the way back and the location it happens going vs returning is 7 blocks apart.

Its happened in two or three other locations as well. Usually a small to medium bump as I roll on 25% throttle coming out of a turnā€¦ Maybe I could speculate they are after long braking episodes (and my batt min is high at -14 for a 10S2P but any faults like this I would assume would report)

I banged on the on off switch and even tried to lightly tap it to see if it had a sensitive area that was quickly cycling power and couldnā€™t replicate the problem

When the VESCs reboot after 5 seconds, I was able to plug in and no faults were found. When the master didnā€™t reboot and hung with just the blue light on, it wouldnā€™t connect to the PC

All I found researching was blue light only sometimes made people speculate the bootloader didnā€™t load because the VESC tool says it cant read the firmware when you try to connect. This went away with a reboot of the board obviously so that seems weird. I have updated config as well. Should I reinstall firmware?

1 Like

whats the settings on your vesc, batt min max and the battery settings. What type of battery? Need details on your build. You might have gotten enough voltage sag if you were leaning on the throttle to hit the batt min voltage cutoff since you were down to 27% charge. That would suddenly cut out acceleration, but the brakes should have remained

3 Likes

Electric trolley? with overhead lines?

This is what I used based on recommendations from other folks - and Iā€™m using a Flipsky 4.20 with the resistor mods and everything done to that. The battery is a 10S5P battery

2 Likes

Somebody also thought they might be samsung 22p just to further confuse thingsā€¦

You could be hitting your amp limits but the other symptoms point towards a connection issue. Check all your cabling for weak points and make sure theyā€™re covered with heat shrink

2 Likes

Is this a diyeboards battery or other?

Battery came from Mboards.co

1 Like

Thatā€™s almost for sure a repackaged Diyeboards battery. Identical specs. I would go 40 batt max to be safe.

4 Likes

Single overhead line trolley yes. Iā€™ve been over the tracks when its in close proximity to me as well. But it may be a special case where the motors touch the tracks. Or maybe just signal issue with the remote? But doesnā€™t correlate with reset times and the VESC master not booting

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure; just as confused as you are. Iā€™d eliminate variables, one at a time.

First, eliminate all power switches so the board is always on. Donā€™t leave it sit off charger thoughā€¦

Then see if it happens again

Then flash a different firmware version (Ackmaniac 3.103 or VESC Tool) and see if it happens again

Then change remotes and see if it happens again

With about a week or two of rides in between each change

At least, thatā€™s where Iā€™d start. Once you identify whatā€™s wrong, you can revert the rest of the changes.

4 Likes