Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Do trampa superstar and mbs rockstar II hubs have the same mounting pattern? I see they are both 5 spoke, but I cannot find anything on the exact spacing between mount points. Thanks :slight_smile:

EDIT:
Found the answer to this…

Hi, it depends if you want to be able to carry the board, like into a store or whatever. If you’re going to actually use it for transportation you may want to go for the lighter battery.

If it’s being built for a toy, then maybe the bigger battery.

1 Like

https://giphy.com/gifs/prOW0rs0JuX2U

1 Like

I get about 32Wh/ mile with high speeds (40-50km/h and lots of off road. It’s more like 20- 25Wh/mile with moderate speed and road only. My pack is a 12s4p 30q so its an easy 10 miles with lots of reserve worst case.

2 Likes

Hi, i lookin’ for a new lipo pack after killed the old, for my emtb (offroad use), i would have 80amps continue on each motor (vesc6+8085aps) on 12s setup

this

or this

why no one use this 6s 20Ah ? some reason ?

1 Like

If you want 80A continuous then those “15C” and “12C” packs aren’t going to work well.

Try to find a “50C” or “80C” pack

C means “per hour” so for example 20Ah times 12C equals 240A

The only problem is that manufacturers severely exaggerate these numbers as a marketing gimmick. You can probably divide by 5.25 to get “actual usability” numbers, so that would mean 22.8A per motor on that pack

If you bought ten of those 6S 12C packs and connected them 5P for a total of 12S5P then you’d have a 12S 100000mAh pack that can do 228A, but it’d cost way too much and be way too heavy

4 Likes

ok, i forgot 80A continuous, i only try to find a power pack who can drive correctly my motors and vesc6, thanks for explanation

Is there a bms where u don’t have to connect wires to the batteries … well where it’s essentially plug n play?

anyone know of a bluetooth pairing code for the unity?

1 Like

no bms, and i gave up li-on because of the crazy cost (charger, cells, bms) and the place it takes.
i have a lipo charger who work well, and it’s easy for me to charge 2x6s with 2 wire plug than 2x4x whatever cells in serie/paralel (is the word exist?)

2 Likes

no pairing required, connect thru the app!

2 Likes

So BMS are for wussies? And I can just hook up a charger to the batteries?

Yah big lipos are just hard to mount unless you are just plopping them on your deck too clearance is an issue for some people. I used lipo for a few years still happy with that for my portable board but got a bigger Li-ion for a bigger cruiser for less hassle and more juice on the board with a slightly smaller brick.

2 Likes

BMS is for less hassle when charging imo but more risk of crap breaking on the board. Fancy BMS can do some telemetry about the cell health as well.

2 Likes

Phone asking for a pairing code

don’t understand wussie, sorry.

I have a 208B charger (8s lipo balance/charge/discharge/storage etc) so, i dont need a bms

I only open the case, unplug the serie wire , plug balace and main port and charge at how many amps i need

2 Likes

Hey Stan, I take my bearings and clean them real good with isopropyl alcohol, let them dry, then coat them in PTFE dry lube, let them dry, then glop a couple good glops of white lithium grease in there and seal them up. They roll butter smooth from there and last forever. I used to use bones speed cream but it doesn’t last nearly as long or roll as smooth.

4 Likes

@b264 @Andy87 Any good epoxy recommendation for battle hardening? My motors sometimes have a grindy sound. Not always and i can’t always replicate it (Never while driving)

You can plug a charger directly to it. It will work.
However, this is a risk of the different p groups of becoming unbalanced. The charger will detect total voltage but not individual cells. So for example sake, you have a 3s3p (total: 12.6v charged)
You charge it to 12.6…but:
p1=4.22v
P2=4.23v
P3=4.15v
Unbalanced cells will only get worse with every charge
Bms will help by bleeding overcharged cells and allow under charged ones to catch up

3 Likes

So is this the case with li ion where you connect a bms but not the balance wires or that only does that if you have the balance wires connected?