Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

You sure about this? I just asked Jeff in another thread. My motors are max 60A each and my slider doesnā€™t go up to 120A I donā€™t think.

Edit:

@Posterduck, motor setting is per motor, not total. Please donā€™t double it right away.

1 Like

One more:

Should motors plugged into an esc which is not plugged into power ā€œshortā€ the motors, or it it a non-issue? Mine feel like 2 phases are touching when theyā€™re plugged in but unplugged rotate normally.

1 Like

sounds like the short is in the esc not the motors

Not sure! And definitely donā€™t know better than Jeff. I edited and added strike through over that part. Thanks for pointing it out.

1 Like

Thanks for the the initial info on the gold motor racestar equivalent amperage!

1 Like

Also try disconnecting the phase wires from the ESC and doing a hand test on the motor

They pass the hand test fine, just act like 2 phases are touching up when plugged into the vesc. Wondering if thatā€™s ok since i donā€™t recall any other setups Iā€™ve built doing that.

I was able to power the esc with a different pack.

ESCs should not be making slight occasional popping noises.

5 Likes

Not sure if I was going crazy or it was melting itself because I unplugged it quick sharp in fear after I saw lights come on.

Guess I can try it againā€¦

If these are Evolve motors, they are Racerstar 5065 wound at 150Kv. You can very closely approximate this with the Racerstar 5065 140Kv which is commercially available.

Acoording to that site, these can do 34A which seems really low, but that would be 34A motor max and -34A motor min.

That does sound really low though. Try 40A / -34A

Ok, can I up it as long as they dont get hot? Or are there other factors?

The 150Kv will be able to handle a little bit more current than the 140Kv. Yes, but they already get really hot so I wouldnā€™t go much above that.

It also depends what your other settings are. Post them all

10s4p 30q
Start with 60A discharge 16A regain
Unity
Bypassed bluetooth bms
Stock evolve motors

Starting with 80A battery isnā€™t going to make your board insane, it just wonā€™t limit it as much. You can certainly run it at 80A. Last time Iā€™m suggesting it :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m just a bit worried because the battery is a bit old and Iā€™m not to confident in it. I will try 80 though and keep a close eye on it. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

If you set the Unit T to 71.6A or less battery max (for both sides combined) then you can probably set the motors above 34A motor max unless you plan on going full throttle up a steep hill for more than 30 - 60 seconds

Try

battery max 71.6A
battery min -18A
motor max 42A
motor min -37A

Then at 100% throttle on flat ground and at top speed the motors will be running at 100% capacity but for full throttle at less than top speed they could briefly go over full capacity. Just make sure they donā€™t get too hot.

Bumping battery max down a tad could be safer for the motors as well. (Sorry @Venom121212 :rofl: :rofl: )

Or just move motor max down to 34A and you can put battery max at whatever you want up to 80A

2 Likes

Thanks, Iā€™ll give those a try! I do have a lot of hills where I live (MN) so if my motors get hot I will lower it.

Am I correct in thinking that battery min effects high speed breaking and motor min effects low speed breaking?

No apologies necessary but my feelings appreciate it!

Where do you get 71.6A from?

3 Likes

Itā€™s (34A + 34A) / 95% max duty cycle

1 Like

Yepā€‹, exactly

2 Likes