Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I will know it after the next ride or I’ll check the cells, because I charged it up now.

1 Like

Do you think those comments were made in the context of sensorless motors, or do you think it applies to all brushless DC motors?

That is the result after charging it up.

1 Like

Does it go into a balance mode if you leave it plugged in at full?

I’m not familiar with the charger you’re using. It looks like it’s not doing a great job at the top off balance though.

I have it charged up with the normal charger, because I want to see the behavior from bms balancer. This charger in the pic is beefy. It does a great balance job.
Here the datasheet.(I charged it not with the hobby charger.)

43mA balancing current from the bms vs. the 1.2A from the hobby charger.
The iCharger has a balance only function and it can shot 40 amps in asynchronous and 70 synchronous mode.

1 Like

@Krindor

to make things even clearer, I created this animation:

^you can see half the time (50% duty cycle), 60a current @ 50v is flowing from the battery, averaging to 30a @ 50v

the other half the time, the current flows inductively, and the motor “sees” 60a @ 25v the whole time. but in reality, during the “on times” the current in the motor might be increasing from 59.9a to 60.1a, and during the off times, the current is dropping from 60.1a back to 59.9a, which averages to 60a.

4 Likes

Im using a heatsink for my focboxes, but instead of just cooling the fets I was thinking about using a cooling pad like this on the lowered area (for the DRV and MCU)

What do you guys think

1 Like

That really makes it clearer, thanks! And my head finally connected everything, thanks for everything, really great explanation!

2 Likes

Higher voltage can also mean an increase in efficiency. But the majority of your range comes from the # of cells in parallel, not the # in series.

I would expect a 10s4p to outperform a 6s4p in range if everything else was the same solely on efficiency. But it’s going to be a small increase in overall range difference.

original post
@BillGordon

so i finally came around to make a battery swap… its still the same behaviour :confused:
does that narrow it down to the esc, or could for whatever reason a motor be faulty ?
like i said they both spin up, and with no load they spin and sound the same like the fully functional board

but under load, brakes and acceleration is still horrible

1 Like

1 complete BLDC electrical revolution at 50% duty cycle:

^this cycle happens 7 times per motor rotation assuming 14 magnets
*(phase changes may not be in the correct order)

4 Likes

I have a 1/2" landyachtz deck, can I safely route a 3"x3" square that is 3/8" deep?

Also, what should I use as a gasket material if I want it to be 1/4" thick when compressed? I was thinking just 1/4" SBR sheet would be good

Battery sits flush with enclosure, BMS sticks up another 1/2" above that, thinking 1/8" of Velcro to stick it to the enclosure and a 1/8" of craft foam to space it from the deck, when 1/4" of rubber as a gasket and squeeze it all together

There is 4 1/8ths in 1/2". You’ll be routing out over half way through. But, depending on where its being routed @ will determine the strength left in it.

If no phase wires are touching or loose, than it would have to be the ESC. Motors don’t often go bad at the same time and in the same way.

1 Like

It’s a 35" battle axe, hole will be about 6" from the front truck, right under my foot. Alternatively I can spin the battery around and move it back another 6" but the wiring inside will suck ass

1 Like

Some would say sketchy, some would say hard no. Me, id route it and ride. You’re on the smaller side of weight so I dont see YOU cuasing fractures while riding.

If you want assurance, after you route it, apply a coat of epoxy in the area to seal everything back up. Should give strength back to it as well.

1 Like

thanks a bunch! now lets hope diyeboards support can help me out there o/

1 Like

Sweet, I usually have most of my forward foot weight on the very edge of the deck or ontop of the edge of the baseplate and it’ll be mostly street riding with this.

Thoughts on sitting everything in the enclosure? It’s a Psychotiller ABS enclosure with lots of features that make it hard to bend and it will have 8 bolts holding it up.

Maybe think about ditching the esc from them and getting a vesc or vesc based esc. Youd have better luck than dealing with anything diyeboard