Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Awesome, so I am right in putting the 10 in that box, but should adjust to 32 and 30 like @Sn4Pz recommended?

Yes thatā€™s right.

Jumping in for the assist!

3 Likes

Yep, @Venom121212 is correct. The battery cutoffs are fine too.

1 Like

When you do motor and sensor detection/calibration, should the motor be hooked up to the pulley already? Iā€™ve seen conflicting answers

I donā€™t know what there useing now but back then I believe they were rebranding diyeboard batteries which I believe Are Samsung 22p. I could be wrong tho.

4 Likes

@ADrum707 there is a whole thread on what to set cutoffs at

ESC Battery cutoff settings

2 Likes

@deckoz @Sender Do you know if these sk8 motors are 80mm or 89mm long?

Hobbyking definitely says 80.7mm

2 Likes

I remember 89? But it has been a minute

1 Like

Just came back from a test rideā€¦ I definitely dig the new settings. Not sure what factor or what combination of factors led to it, but the motors response feels so much better, brakes are better as well. Canā€™t thank you all enough for your help! @MysticalDork @Flasher @mmaner @b264 @Sn4Pz @Venom121212 sorry if I forgot anyone!

6 Likes

Hey so Iā€™m just about ready to build a battery but iā€™m not sure of ALL
the parts necessary heres what I think i need please tell me if iā€™m wrong
50 40t cells
10 m of nickel just to be safe
charge only bms
charge port
fish paper
5 feet of 10 gauge wire
spot welder

Multimeter
Fuse for charge port
Balance wire if your BMS wires arent long enough
Heat shrink for whole battery and different wire gauges
Solder
Soldering iron
Flux
Kapton tape
Filament tape

These are a few things that I use that arent on your list!

5 Likes

thanks exactly what i was looking for putting a 10s5p on my meepo v3 :upside_down_face: right now looking at finishing up end of december

1 Like

Would also suggest that you read as much of this thread as you can :+1:

2 Likes

thanks great resource i have been reading just couldnt find a parts list i have a pretty good concept of cell layout

I have a dual cheepo ESC and new model remote from dickyhoā€¦when I max out the throttle it will vary the speed (bench testing), is there any way to determine if itā€™s the remote throttle or the ESV itself?

Iā€™m not excessively worried about it because itā€™s just gonna be used by friends who wonā€™t pass 10mph anyway (yes Iā€™ll make them wear a helmet), but if itā€™s just a new remote then Iā€™ll pick one up from dicky when I get more goodies from him

Whatā€™s the big difference between Uart remote connection and PPM?
Different security protocol? One is more reliable than the other?
If there is already a topic on this, please link me to it, I didnā€™t find anything on this subject.

1 Like

@stan Deckoz pointed out failsafes

1 Like

PPM (or PWM) uses a single wire and sends a square wave with varying pulse width. The ESC senses the pulse width of the square wave and adjusts the motor speed accordingly.

The PPM communication uses a single data wire and the flow of information is only one way, from the controllers reciever to the ESC.
Different receivers might give out a slightly different pulsewidth when idle and that is why there is the option to adjust the deadband and the midway point of the signal.

UART uses digital serial communication (ones and zeros) and two data lines. The use of both RX and TX lines between the receiver and the ESC means that information can be sent back from the ESC to the remote. In practice this means that you can show stuff such as the current speed and power draw on the remote.

4 Likes

Unfortunately the fail-safes heā€™s talking about donā€™t even apply to uart control method, so itā€™s kinda like complaining your submarine doesnā€™t have wheels. The two systems are so different thereā€™s no Apple to Apple comparison.

The fail-safes heā€™s talking about already exist in different forms with modern radios, or arenā€™t applicable because the tech being used isnā€™t RC hobby tech from the 80s.

@deckoz nerd fight me bro.

4 Likes