Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

I have fit checked my enclosure about nine times now but havenā€™t drilled any holes in that beautiful virgin deck yet. Tracking says my battery and speed controllers arrive today. Is it measure nine times, cut once or measure ten times, cut once? I can never keep that straight.

1 Like

What i saw last night was very, very polished. And it felt great to hold.

2 Likes

measure 11 times, get nine different measurements, make 7 different marks, get agitated and throw things, drill in the center of all the marks as an average, discover the whole box was moved out of place between multiple holes, urinate on box, swear at the kids, go watch TV.

9 Likes

Do you work for Amazon and have you been listening in on my Alexa?

4 Likes

Time for my next noob question.

When it comes to trouble shooting things, to my knowledge, thereā€™s not a diagnostic report we can run like an OBD II scan on a car. Whatā€™s the best way to determine if a motor is bad? Or if the remote is a problem, or if thereā€™s an VESC issue without having extensive electrical engineering knowledge?

Maybe the answer is - go to the forums - and if so then thatā€™s fair, but there seem to be an elite group of proā€™s here who can answer almost anything. I assume most of this community has a similar mindset and loves to know how things work, and I feel like Iā€™m so behind on even how these forums work - I was lucky enough to catch the wave of migration from the last forum. Anyway, whatā€™s the best way to catch up as I guess, a secondary question to whatā€™s above?

1 Like

See this post

Connect to the VESC with USB and see if you can read the remote signal, and/or switch the two receivers and see if the problem switches sides

Assuming youā€™ve wired your system ā€œduel independent driveā€ (with 2 remote receivers) and youā€™re not using CANBUS (as @Trampa recommends), you can simply switch the VESCs and see if the problem changes sides or not.

3 Likes

@longhairedboy @mmaner in regards to the flipsky vx1 Iā€™ve found it to be a great remote in my past 2 months of testing out however you may want to Consider swapping out the Lipo in the vx1 with one of a higher capacity. with other remotes Iā€™ve tested I only charge the battery every 3-4 weeks but with the vx1 I fined myself recharging it every 3-4 days.

1 Like

Thanks man - Iā€™ve used the canbus in my dual setup, but Iā€™ll do the motor test to try and eliminate that, and try switching the remote to the other side of the Vesc input to see if that helps.

Thatā€™s awesome! And thanks for the tip!! Any recommendations on the upgraded battery?

1 Like

If you check the flipsky vx1 thread on the other forum you can fined some recommendations for a replacement battery.

1 Like

The stock battery is 7mm

These may or may not work. Please let us know if you try any of them.

1 Like

Have you had experience with cruise control?

Mates need help with belt length - I will be using 36T alluminium Kegel Pulley 12,5 mm width (from dickyho) and 15T Steel motor pulley 16mm width (also from dickyho) . I also have motor mount from dickyho with minimal center distance 95mm. My question is what is the optimal belt length . I used the bbman.com belt length calculator and it gives me desired belt length of 320mm which for me is oddly long. PLS HALP if you can. Also Ill be using tensioners.

I donā€™t like that the VX1 has just a board for the reciever seems like it would be easy to bang into something in the enclosure and break

No, sorry havenĀ“t tried cruise control jet.

Im kinda used to it, the Hoyt Puck and Benchwheel remotes are the same. I typically make sure they are secured to the deck or side of the battery with 3m double stick tape or hot glue, never been an issue for me personally.

320mm doesnā€™t sound unreasonable at all.

I donā€™t use 36T pulleys though so Iā€™m not sure.

PS: only order one belt until you find the right size.

1 Like

So to skin the deck before glass frit, just wet out the fabric with the same spar urethane?

No, to skin the deck you need epoxy and other stuff, you cant use spar urethane.

1 Like

Is there a write up here? Only ones I find only show the glass frit and spar urethane portion, nothing about the fabric portion