Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Generally Slime is only good for small punctures - an actual slice/gash will be much more difficult to seal.
You can try to patch it with a repair kit as well.

2 Likes

Does anyone have any good recommendations for easily replaceable fuses? I fried the slave half of my Flipsky dual 6.6 vesc. :frowning_face: I have no idea why it happened and thereā€™s no obvious signs of damage on the unit, so looking to add more redunancies to hopefully prevent another one blowing

Ideally something that could be soldered inline with my power cables and be pulled out/replaced if needed. I have a 12s mountainboard setup where Iā€™d like my amperage ceiling to be at 100A continuous, so maybe something like this @~130A? [link]

@Slade Simply solder your wire to a car fuse and add heat shrink to the terminals?

What Flasher said, or you can get automotive blade fuse holders.

If there is no physical damage on the vesc, then I doubt a fuse would have stopped it. Fuses only really protect from gross electrical overload resulting from short circuits or the like. They just wonā€™t act fast enough to save a few hundred transistors on a fragile piece of silicon.

2 Likes

@Slade btw if thereā€™s no sign of dmg, how do you know its fried? Might just be bricked?

Is it possible to use the working master vesc on the board to fix a potentially bricked slave vesc? It seems so, based on this thread where they mention ā€œVESC Rescue via SWD PROGā€. Is this what youā€™re referring to?

From what Iā€™ve read, Vesc were redesigned to allow rebooting other corrupted esc. I used a stm32 nucleo to fix mine when I bricked it. Maybe someone has more insight on this rather than me. Iā€™m still on a learning curve so Iā€™m not your best shot :slight_smile:
@mmaner paging you as I know you have good experience on the matter of escs

Interesting; I also found this video of where the SWD PROG menu is on the vesc tool. So since the Flipsky dual 6.6 is just 2 copies of the vesc on the same pcb and one works, I think I can solder a few wires between the SWD ports on the two copies, and use the working one to flash the broken one? This is all speculation still, so please correct if wrong :slight_smile:
Hereā€™s where the SWD ports are on the board (upper part of the right image:

How do you guys fix squeaky and popping bushings?

I picked up some bones wax and cant figure out how to apply it right to get rid of the noise

Iā€™d just take everything apart and gob that wax on everywhere anything rubs against anything - pivot cup, bushing tops, bottoms, and inside of the bushings themselves, the washers, the divots in the hanger, and the kingpin. Maybe take a heat gun to it and melt the wax into those places.

2 Likes

Soldering cables is a bad idea. You canā€™t run a motor with SWD interconnected. The ESC would get damaged if you have a permanent link.

Thanks @ZachTetra.

So the Caliber are a good option? Which exact version and width do you recommend 184mm? That means just width of the hanger right without axles?

1 Like

Yes, 30AWG is rated for 860mA continuous

1 Like

He should get the appropiate JST socket and solder onto the pcb.

1 Like

I just upgraded to dual drive and iā€™m not sure about the belts.

One belts already has 250km on it and the other one is new. Is it wise to still use both and have different Motor positions due to stretching/being stiffer or should i buy 2 new belts and use the old ones as backup?

Yes Calibers is the overall easiest option at the moment. I recommend the 184mm hangar (10" total length) if you plan to use a single motor, dual 6355, dual 5055, or diagonal 6374. If you wish to use dual 6374 end to end you will need a Torqueboards TB218 truck but those are much more expensive when you factor in the mounts

If you get the 158mm hangar (9" total length), there isnā€™t enough space for the motor mount and you night need to file away load bearing parts

I prefer one new belt and one old belt. That way they both donā€™t get old together, and if one breaks itā€™s more likely the other one WONā€™T break so you can make it home on one motor.

5 Likes

The her being esk8 of course

2 Likes

But still adjust the belt tension so that both are equally firm?

where did you get these?