Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

also do you think all this fukkery with breaking and cutting out at times do to overheating ? i get 1 an 6 rides

If I had to guess I’d say yes. but you should be triggering over_temp faults to get cutouts. without shutting it off hook it up to vesc-tool and check each motor for faults. ( go into terminal and type faults )

for funsies. I played with desmos to illustrate the linear throttling. (90% sure this is accurate, though I never read it in the code. )

click through to desmos and you can play with your own values:

1 Like

can i just copy this ? seems reasonable

1 Like

My calliber 2’s feel wobbly at higher speeds, how do i work out which bushings to get that would suit my weight etc?

1 Like

Consult the oracle:

8 Likes

nice 1 bill =D

2 Likes

im right after testing my EMTB on dual chain-drive

I had 2 strange situations with cut-offs while acceleating heavily, but it was ok in like 2 seconds

i checked for faults but the main FOCBOX had none, and can-connected showed:

here is motor tab (exactly the same on the other one)

do you have any ideas how to fix it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi gurus. Looking for opinions. My fsesc mini 4.20, threw up an abs over current error a couple of times on the first ride (error log showed 80a filtered, 140peak on the flat at 12mph!!! Weird). Put it on the bench, took off the belt, ran set up again. Set limits at 30/-30 motor 60/-10 battery. 10s1p lipo. Hybrid bldc sensored not FOC. Weirdly during hall detect sensors 0 and 7 were coming back with a value 255 (and correcting to 6). Anyway all seemed well otherwise. Blipped the throttle a few times, fine. But then fsesc reset. Tried again and this time audible pop and slight electric smell.
Fsesc no longer responds…
So I understand the fsesc is blown, prob the drv chip. Prob faulty in the first place (4.20 hardware doesn’t have great rep I know).
However my big Q - was it the motor? Should I replace the motor and vesc? Motor is a 6374 hobbyking 149…
Advice much appreciated!

Unlikely any issue with the motor you can check the resistance of the coils/phase wires to see that there isn’t a short or something strange. The hall sensors I believe you typically do see something like 3 “actual” values and a couple 255 (I’m not privvy to details of the code or setup there so someone else can maybe add detail but I don’t believe that’s too abnormal, recall seeing it when setting up my sensored motors and no issue).

Depending on the motor kv the voltage of battery and the VESC you could have gone over erpm limit of 60k that tends to blow out the DRV or it maybe had some bad connections (ground plate under the DRV is somewhat notoriously difficult to get soldered well :man_shrugging: my best guess is faulty ESC though not to do with the motor.

Nice to have a cheaper hobby grade ESC (for large trucks or cars) around as well to just sanity check hardware. I love the VESC but they can be a little fragile (especially if new to all of this)

3 Likes

Regular Calibre trucks zero issues…

2 Likes

Are the gate resistors 470 ohm or 47 ohm?

1 Like

Do a hand test

What’s your belt length, I assume you have 6354 too?
Can you recommend the idle pulley?

You don’t have problems because your wheel pulley is more inside the wheel, while mine is stocking out a few millimeters. These are the millimeters you have between your motors ^^

In this pictures, the motor mounts are more apart that they should be - the belt is not straight but a little bit off/diagonal because of that.

@b264 I saw you talking about TVS Diodes a long time ago and was considering adding one to my VESC as an extra layer of protection. I’m currently running 10s but would like to experiment with 12s. Would the SMCJ51A-E3/57T be OK for 12s or is the reverse standoff voltage too low? Its similar to the one you recommended but with a peak pulse power rating of 5 kW.

Simple question: does riders weight affect top speed?

2 Likes

Shouldn’t it only affect acceleration

As long as your system has the power to reach top speed why should it affect it

Dunno if it’s true but it’s the way I have always seen it

1 Like

that’s my logic too, but real life results seem to show something entirely different

2 Likes

That’s probably cause your system can’t manage to acccelerate you quick enough to get you to that speed

It doesn’t have the required torque to get you there

The fatter you are the more air drag, tyre trag and other small things like bearings slow you down.
But, assuming you are carrying a 10kg ideal 100% aerodynamic iron bar vs a 200kg one, they should both eventually get close to the same top speed, although the heavy one will take more power (100% losses at that point) to stay there

5 Likes