Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

@ShutterShock i’m liking the looks of backfire’s parts, thanks:grin:

I always check out video reviews on Youtube, I would check out some and see if you like how it rides. :slight_smile:

Daniel Kwan has a good one, Press Reset did a review, and Ronnie Sarmiento

Anytime :metal:

1 Like

come on you know what they say about going with black…:grin::sunglasses:

Already said but just want to reiterate main thing is don’t cut both leads together do it one at a time. Good chance you’re cutting it with something conductive and will short through your cutting tool this will get hot and scary pretty fast and the shorting is bad for the cell/battery health.

2 Likes

Generally speaking:

Hubs are cheap and easy for beginners to set up because trucks, motors, mounts, wheels, and any adapters needed are all together. Because of this, they’re not really quality components due to being squished together. They can’t handle heat and therefore won’t be as powerful as other setups (hummie hubs excluded).

You have 3 options:

1. Do some research and accept that it’s going to be more expensive and take longer to make. Make a beautiful board you can upgrade with time.

2. Take your budget and spend it all on a half decent prebuilt like meepo or boosted. Note that you won’t be able to upgrade this much and you will hit your limit and be wanting more umph in a year or less.

3. Get intimidated by all the knowledge and terms you don’t know and give up. This option sucks and results in no fun for you. Don’t pick this one.

Once you have chosen option 1, start here.

2 Likes

Yeah added to that, if the battery is strong enough it can destroy the metal. I lost a chunk in one of my tools because my friend borrowed it and chopped through both 4S lipo leads at once lol

Probably scared the crap out of him, and I lost a chunk of the tool.

When running sensorless what is the best vesc setting to adjust for better take off from a stand still? Or should i just give it a rolling start everytime?

You can adjust startup boost if in BLDC, I found that it helped get a better start

1 Like

thought so, thanks!

I’m having a strange little ghost in my board for no apperent reason and maybe one of you knows what’s going on.

When turning on the board the wheel only spins at like 1/10th the power it should and won’t even rotate at all without a spin from the hand while applying power. once it hits a certain rpm all the power will come back and it will work as usual until I push it too hard (like slow speed up a hill) or turn it off/on again and it goes back to it’s low power state. Usually it will fix with the hand spin and some throttle but sometimes it will stay low power even with the hand spin. It won’t spin as fast as it does normally and it only seems to reset randomly. Really annoying.

I don’t remember changing anything that caused this and I went over all the vesc settings to no avail. Seemed normal.

Why are both my boards trying to either kill me or annoy me?

I can grab a video if it helps explain better.

I guess ive missed that setting.

1 Like

Try 0.05 or something like that, I have heard people go as high as 0.08

1 Like

How to fuse your charge port for dummies?

Since I’ve never done it before I would appreciate some guidance. Maybe someone could do a quick write up? I have these parts:

8A Fuse
Silicone/copper wire

And later on perhaps another epic @b264 tutorial like this one:

Don’t use those fuses, they break really fast from vibrations. Use car fuses, they work much better

3 Likes

Agreed with @KaramQ, you need a blade type fuse to solder onto. Those can work but suuuuck to solder on.

1. make sure power is off
  2. snip red wire where you want fuse to be
  3. apply loose heat shrink tubing to cut wire before soldering
  4. cut a few mm of wire sleeve off to expose wire from both ends of snipped red wire
  5. put some solder on each end of the snipped red wire
  6. put some solder on each end of the fuse
  7. solder red wire - fuse - red wire
  8. let cool and make sure the connection is strong enough that you can’t pull it off by hand using normal strength
  9. slide heat shrink tubing over fuse and both red wire solder points
  10. lighter or heat gun the heat shrink until taut
  11. drink a beer and/or smoke a bowl with your pants off
6 Likes

I am never bringing you to the bar :joy:

1 Like

Doesn’t stop me from finding you

2 Likes

@Venom121212

Borders be like

5 Likes

I’ve been using these for over 200 miles. They are holding up so far. It’s in a housing though.

1 Like