Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Are the C ratings for Zippy lipos somewhat accurate or grossly exaggerated?

Thanks Bill!. I’ll check out those links. Appreciate it =)

Any harm in leaving your charger plugged in after charging is completed?

Nope, I often recommend it as this is when many BMS do their balance work.

3 Likes

These would be cool for a last mile penny board for college students, but I think its more suited to larger FPV vehicles and stuff

1 Like
2 Likes

I am looking at using @eboosted 's 12s BMS but it states that he only builds them for charge and not for discharge because it isnt safe.
Mentions power loss from braking on a full battery which i get but how is that discharge? Thought that was charging. And because you cant overcharge so it goes to heat at that point. So does this mean that it doesn’t support regen braking?

Hmm gotcha, I asked because it looks very similar to the mini FOC and mini FOC plus. Just arranged in a circle vs square

I can’t imagine it would go above 20A batt without some active cooling. An FPV flying in the air at 100km/hr will be able to be used at slightly higher power

Is this due to the small size? If I’m not wrong, it’s bigger than the miniFOC and miniFOC plus

I think you miss something. Bms is wired for charge only, indeed.
From the charge plug, through bms, to battery. Charging.

For the esc, the wire comes directly from the battery, with no stops except for the antispark/loopkey. The esc draws power safely like this, and when you brake, sends that extra energy back into the battery. If the path to battery is interrupted when you brake, the esc explodes. And a bms tends to cut the power in the nastiest situations

Ok so what does he mean that he doesn’t build them for discharge then? do some do that? and what does discharge actually mean I guess.
not knowing much I imagine it safely takes it down to a certain level for storage.

And what would cause an interruption to the battery path?

A discharge bms means the power flows from the battery, through the bms to the ESC. The BMS has the option to completely open the circuit if it thinks charge/discharge currents or voltage is too high, among other reasons. Example: You’re braking down a hill on a relatively full charge, BMS decides the battery is full and disconnects from ESC. poof, esc explodes and your brakes are gone. Bypass BMS means the ESC has direct access to battery with no middleman.

1 Like

So is a little overcharge on your battery safer than having your esc and brakes cut out? Im planning on using Lipos and hear they can be a bit touchy to say the least.

ok so i found my awser i just need to know my baud rate “had trouble using the VX2 and the unity. You have to just go into the input and set it to UART and the correct baud rate”

1 Like

any one know how to check

Up to you. Do you want something to randomly decide when to cut your brakes and throttle without warning? In exchange for possibly abusing the batteries a little more?

2 Likes

You setting up unity via focbox tool via USB? It doesnt work on the bluetooth app. Set baud rate, uart+ppm on app and it should work just fine.

idk what would u do ?, i do like it not dc on me