Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

This is going to be largely subjective to answer since it depends on what you consider good and bad things. Some people can stomach any price and waiting for a quality part, some people want easier to replace individual pieces others want more integration, it really depends on what you want in terms of what is best.

Do you care about being able to configure it yourself?
How important is price?
How important is immediate availability?
Would you rather replace a second ESC or have everything built in one?
Are you looking just at different versions of VESC or across all ESCs (do you know the difference?)
What are the power requirements?
Do you want to run FOC mode (again do you know what this is does it matter to you)?

2 Likes

Configuration: I guess Iā€™d like to have the option
Price: I donā€™t mind paying up for something good.
Immediate product: I wonā€™t mind a little wait 1-3months max but not anything more I reckon.

ā€œAs for replace second esc or all in oneā€ā€¦ im not too sure I understand this question

And version of esc, power requirements and foc modeā€¦ I do not know this stuff.

Sorry bit half assed question on my end asking for a list of esc without really knowing what I want.

1 Like

The fact that you addressed it nullifies any harm :smile:

Focbox unity
Vesc6
Flipsky dual + version are all viable options for you

1 Like

All good no one knows this stuff up front just wasnā€™t sure how much youā€™d dug in already.

Regarding getting a two in one vs individual ESCs there are boards that directly support dual motors from one PCB, so thereā€™s one battery connection into the ESC and 6 phase wires for hooking up two motors. Other option is you have two individual ESC each with power going into them from battery (parallel connection to battery from ESCs) and then each drives one motor. Advantage with two separate is if one dies it doesnā€™t mean replace the whole thing and can run on one motor while waiting on replacement ESC, disadvantage is more complexity in wiring and configuration of two things instead of one.

For power requirements itā€™s a really hard thing to know ahead of time, it depends on weight, location (hills), ride style, etc. but can find data here or just searching around for metr.at logs of other similar riders in similar locations. Iā€™m a small guy on flat land riding urethane with one motor so power requirements are minimal: https://metr.at/r/6EGoI
https://calc.esk8.news/#/0 <-- can help get some idea
also an average rider will use around 10-12Wh of battery capacity per kilometer so if you are heavier than average expect higher draw, if you are average or lighter then can expect less draw, this also depends largely on how hard you accelerate and if you are riding up hill or not.

FOC mode is an option on VESCs but on some versions of VESC is known to cause the board to blow out so not advisable. It basically makes the motors run quieter and a bit smoother but less top end speed.

Edit thought I mentioned it but just read my post and forgot the ecalc linked at the top of the forum here can help with figuring out your numbers, let us know if something there doesnā€™t make sense or you canā€™t find the numbers.

3 Likes

Hello im looking to build a electric skateboard for about 750 what will that give me

Start by reading this

And if you believe DIY is right for you

This is a good place too start

Credit to @mmaner for the awesone guide

5 Likes

Anyone know how to tighten the cans on TB 6355 motors? I think it has something to do with the circlip but Iā€™d like to hear from someone experienced before messing with it, thanks.

I think I might have a broken magnet, Iā€™ve never opened one of these up beforeā€¦Do I need to disconnect the motor from the vesc to open it up? I only ask because it would be a b*tch to remove all the wire guards from the phase wires to disconnect them, would rather avoid this if possible. Also how do I remove the c-clip?

1 Like

Do any of these magnets look broken to you guys? The inside of this can looks fine to me I canā€™t figure out why my motors making this fucking noise!

They donā€™t look broken, but theyā€™ve definitely been rubbing a bit. How tight of a fit was the shaft in the can?

Replacing the stock set screws with some class 12.9 ones can help, and loctite 680 as well.
I noticed in your earlier video that the can seemed a bit wobbly, and guessing by all the marks on the outside itā€™s been hitting stuff pretty constantly, and so it may have basically wobbled out the shaft hole in the back of the can. Iā€™d try using some shims or something to make sure the can is perfectly centered on the stator/shaft, replacing the screws with class 12.9 cup-point setscrews and then adding some loctite 680 and letting it set up overnight. If thatā€™s the problem then that should fix it, but it may not be a permanent solution - loctite is only so strong. You may end up having to get a fresh can or maybe a new motor.

1 Like

Do you have an esk8 already or will this be your first?

1 Like

Is there a magic way to get alienpowersystems to answer emails? Its been over a week with no response on why my order placed on the 9th of july is still ā€œprocessingā€ they claimed in the last email that all July orders were being packaged and shipped a week ago.

Is their tracker just bad?

The order was simple, just 2 motors that were in stock. Anyone know what might be wrong? I want to give APS the benefit of the doubt here, but Iā€™m getting a tad bit worried

1 Like

Yep

This is the not-as-good way

And this is the best way Iā€™ve found

And none of this is specific to TB motors ā€“ I have yet to find any esk8 motor where this isnā€™t a weak spot

4 Likes

Iā€™m looking at

I know QC with Flipsky is a bit of a gold mine but what do you think about this running say a 12s4p samsung 30q and two 6374 (95kgs) @wafflejock

oh damn, this one seems feasible for me.

[20190717_124457]

what are the 4 bolts attaching to on the other end of the can?

They just hold the aluminum on there, and the aluminum just holds the key that I added

I milled a slot in the back across the shaft and dropped a key in it

But I prefer the other way I showed which holds against slip in 2 axis instead of one axis like this

2 Likes

Couldnā€™t you just use a larger tap on the stripped holes? Or tap 2 new ones on the spots perpendicular? (Referring to @whaddys issue)

I think the hole is wobbled out enough that even repairing/replacing the setscrews is at best a temporary fix. The shaft should be a press fit in the can - thatā€™s what provides the registration and rigidity. The screws are just there to prevent rotation or axial movement. Without that registering fit, even if he fills the gap with a retaining compound, itā€™ll never be as rigid as before.

Iā€™d get a brand new can and a new shaft (They most likely come assembled) and be done with it.

1 Like

I agree 100%, I would just buy a new motor alltogether myself, he seems adamant though.

i dont know i asked them a question about there product a month ago and they havent gotten back to me

1 Like