Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

Thanks for the mention :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You mean ATC? So between $50 and $120? @akhlut might be able to throw something simple together for you for <$120, but I donā€™t know of any other options.
Another $120 option though is the lacroix mounts. Nicer looking (imo) than the more expensive EBS mounts. Everything else is super fancy and >$200.

the kit is recommended for 9-10 inchā€¦i got 35 inches, do you think thats okay?

Heres the link

Thanks!

Will be off for some time riding my unmotorized ( :frowning: ) longboard

1 Like

The 9-10 inch deck measurement theyā€™re talking about is deck width, not length.

Iā€™m assuming you donā€™t have a 35" wide deck, you mean length

1 Like

Haha yeah, thank you so much!

1 Like

No problem man. Welcome to esk8!

If you have time, pop by and introduce yourself here:

1 Like

Do you know where I can get a matching battery indicator for the VESC? Or should I buy that for the battery separately? Do you know a good 42V Charger (i need 42V for 36V batteries right?)? Though I donā€™t know what battery Iā€™ll get so I donā€™t know the max charging current. But a battery charge indicator would be great!

All of the answers to these questions are already here. People respond best to those who use search and read up as well as ask questions. You also need to read a certain amount to be elevated to the next trust level here, and Iā€™m sure you will want to do that.

Cool to see your enthusiasm, though. So great to see fresh blood coming in here every day.

4 Likes

Any battery indicator that has an acceptable voltage range (0-50V is a common one) will work.

If you get a battery maker to make you one, you can ask them to include a connector for a battery meter.

If you know how to work with batteries safely and solder, you just wire the voltmeter in parallel.

Do a bit of searching around, thereā€™s a looot of helpful info here.

1 Like

Uhmā€¦ I texted the battery builder guy and now I canā€™t find our chat dialogueā€¦ On the messages bar thereā€™s only conversations with people who answered me and this thread here. Do you know what I am overlooking?

1 Like

Click your avatar, then click the larger avatar that appears, then youā€™ll see ā€œmessagesā€ on the toolbar. Then select ā€œsentā€ from the dropdown.

5 Likes

Welcome @Niklas!

itā€™s pretty hard to do anything wrong here :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
We have many german residents that could also help you out :blush:
@xsynatic @Mainflow @Creavenger @Benjo are a few of them :love_you_gesture:

Also since you are new, we made a few threads that could really help you with building an esk8, especially since it all seems a bit complicated at the beginning with different Vesc and battery cells, battery chemistry, boards etcā€¦
So if you donā€™t mind, have a look at some of these :grin:

Glossary of Terms

Battery Basics for Beginners [Serious-ish]

[WIKI] Trusted Battery Builders (Serious)

Builderā€™s Wiki-start here! (SERIOUS)

Thats a lot of reading already haha.

I also want to note that 500 is very low and to build something good at that price is really hard when ā€˜ā€˜China Boardsā€™ā€™ like Exway (pun intended) make amazing boards for the price.

May i ask how much range you want and what wheels you would like?

7 Likes

I just wanna make sure I donā€™t screw this up: what do you think is the best way to remove tis XT90 and replace with an XT60? Super simple job I just donā€™t have any wickā€“think I could just press a hot tip to the joint and remove it?

i would remove the plastic ( via dremel ) so that you could work on removing one soldered joint at a time.

1 Like

No need, once they get hot the bullet can spin loose, you cab heat one side then rotate it out of contact

3 Likes

Do thisā€¦ I make shit harder than it has to be. i have quarantine brain.

7 Likes

nice could I heat up the bullet from the outside/inside the housing? That should work right?

Yeah, but to get enough thermal transfer it would require some solder, youā€™ll loose the connector

1 Like

cool yea I dont care about the XT90. Just the $150 controller :upside_down_face: :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Does using 2 loopkeys make it twice as safe? (Battery connection lead is too short so Iā€™m using a series connector and a fused key to bridge the gap :yum:

Itā€™s science day!