Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Got it, makes a lot of sense now :+1:t3:

It looks like these things shorted because of the over flow of slightly conductive paste. Is this fixable?

This is my first post, i hope im not doing anything wrong and this is the right place to ask.
I want to build my self a budget and i mean really budget electric longboard. Im willing to pay around 500€ (i live in germany). I want a belt driven one because the cheap hub solutions have awful wheels that you cant replace. So i went online, and please forgive me, searched up parts from aliexpress. I found a kit that seems fair. I know your eyes will bleed but please keep in my mind im on a tight budget and cant spend 100 Bucks only for a VESC, even if it is awesome.

I cant insert links… jus google this and click the first link:
Maytech electric longboard motor 5065 170kv and kit eletrico remote and SuperEsc based on vesc and pulley with mount and truck

A quick yes or no about the kit would be awesome. Please be specific what parts frighten you etc. But i really hope this kit will do “ok”, i dont really have that high expectations for my budget. I got 200-300€ left and with that i want to buy a battery. Since the battery prices here in Germany are ridiculous, and in the end the batteries still are made in china, i think ill just order them from aliexpress too. I need 36V/10S and i think 3p should do just fine with about 10Ah capacity.

Here is my big question:
The Motor is 1850W with 36V and 50A Max. The VESC supports 50A Max. too. But now for the Battery, this one for example is listed as 15A max. Cont. Is that per cell so that in the end i get 45A or for the whole battery pack?

It would be awesome to get some links to good budget batteries up to 300€ with 36v, Built in BMS and 50A max. discharge. A charger would also be needed.

heres what to google to get the link (first one again):
laudation 36V 10ah electric bicycle battery 18650 battery pack 10S3P 500W High Power and Capacity Motorcycle Scooter With BMS

For the VESC, where do i get an on off switch or do i just use a XT60 spark loop thing? Nad wehere to get a compatible battery indicator?

I have a madrid longboard with 80mm Smooth Ride wheels. I have better bearings than i the kit from Olson&Hekmati (a small local company here that sells Longbaords)

Thanks for any advice!!!

1 Like

I’m helping my friend make her first eMTB, suggestions for motor mounts? Getting a MBS 95 Comp complete and deck swapping for a MK1 B-stock, we have some 6374 motors for it already

Looking for something between the Boardnamics and ATS price range I think

ask @Acido for a great value battery, hes in croatia if im not misstaken, so not too much shipping

and for quality budget parts you could check out dickyho’s ebay shop

1 Like

Maytech is generally pretty solid but that battery is shit.

The cells they use are Panasonic ncr18650bd which only have a discharge rating of 10A. Aliexpress sellers notoriously misspec their batteries. I wouldn’t buy from there.

Your total battery’s discharge capability is the individual cell types discharge rating times the number of parallel groups in your battery pack.

For the vesc/esc switch. The cheapest, easiest, and most reliable method used is an XT90-S loop key.

3 Likes

Hey Niklas-

I bumped your account a level so you can add links and pictures now. Feel free to edit your post and we’ll try to help you out.

Welcome!

@Venom121212
So ill grab my self a XT90S loop key from ebay etc. and connect it to the ground rail in series. Why cant it be XT60? What connector would you recommend for Battery/ESC Connection. Also, do you know a better alternative for the battery? I see that 30A Max is low… i am really struggling finding affordable batteries… And i fear building one my self. There are these: https://www.nkon.nl/de/vruzend-diy-battery-kit-3765.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwybD0BRDyARIsACyS8mv7_vI3mMiTDBUYKXC2n7XHbQ5-3ZeK9_K3ohDh7FmFZNEarUBy3ngaAiUIEALw_wcB

I know the basics of battery build process, but i dont trust my self enough to connect a BMS to it etc… I would like to have that already done to make the build simpler.

So please anyone give me your choices for a 36V ~10Ah Battery.

Also, i dont know if the trucks will fit my boards holes. I would dismount my default trucks but i dont know if the holes are matching for the new truck. Sadly i couldnt find info on the measurements of the truck holes. Is that always the same for longboard trucks? Also in the description on aliexpress they say its for a 9-10 inch board…but mine is 90cm or 35inch. Will it work fine anyways?

Thanks for your help! Awesome how nice you guys are :smiley:

so if i got you right - acido builds batteries? Would be awesome! But i dont know if i can pay enough for that quality :frowning:

1 Like

yes he does, just send him a pm, his prices are very decent

@BillGordon can you bump this guy so he can link and pm ? :point_up:

edit: oops allready happened, damn youre fast :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Do you know about the trucks? Are they normed for longboards or do i have to watch out if it ll fit my deck (Madrid Longboard)

The xt60 connector carries 60A safely
The xt90 connector carries 90A safely
The XT90-S connector carries 90A safely and has a built in resistor connection to eliminate spark when you connect it.

If you used a plain xt60 or xt90, every time you plugged your board in, you would hear a pop, see a small spark, and damage your battery a bit.

As for the truck mounting holes, most boards use either old school or new school layout:

description_image_longboard_mounting_holes_grande

Going for a skate, be back to answer in a bit unless someone else takes the reigns first.

5 Likes

Thanks for the mention :slight_smile:

3 Likes

You mean ATC? So between $50 and $120? @akhlut might be able to throw something simple together for you for <$120, but I don’t know of any other options.
Another $120 option though is the lacroix mounts. Nicer looking (imo) than the more expensive EBS mounts. Everything else is super fancy and >$200.

the kit is recommended for 9-10 inch…i got 35 inches, do you think thats okay?

Heres the link

Thanks!

Will be off for some time riding my unmotorized ( :frowning: ) longboard

1 Like

The 9-10 inch deck measurement they’re talking about is deck width, not length.

I’m assuming you don’t have a 35" wide deck, you mean length

1 Like

Haha yeah, thank you so much!

1 Like

No problem man. Welcome to esk8!

If you have time, pop by and introduce yourself here:

1 Like

Do you know where I can get a matching battery indicator for the VESC? Or should I buy that for the battery separately? Do you know a good 42V Charger (i need 42V for 36V batteries right?)? Though I don’t know what battery I’ll get so I don’t know the max charging current. But a battery charge indicator would be great!

All of the answers to these questions are already here. People respond best to those who use search and read up as well as ask questions. You also need to read a certain amount to be elevated to the next trust level here, and I’m sure you will want to do that.

Cool to see your enthusiasm, though. So great to see fresh blood coming in here every day.

4 Likes