Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Any suggestions for learning resources, topics, and techniques for someone new to skating and wanting to get a electric mountain board?

1 Like

This whole website. Use the search function

I have that bms but I set my battery regen to my cells rating not the bms. Work out what the total charge rate of the cells are are and thats your max battery regen. It will only do it for a few seconds and will not affect the bms. That is not to say set it to the max but just not go over it. Battery regen is high speed brakes so start low and see what you like. Then up it if necessary sticking between the parameters of the cells. I always like a little headroom in all my settings where the battery is concerned.

1 Like

Fair enough =)

1 Like

They’re in Australia so they can basically just break the law whenever they want because of the way their legal system is set up. It mostly only protects Australians. If you’re not in Australia and someone in Australia is stealing your shit, you’re pretty much fucked. Unless you want to go take care of it yourself, the old-fashioned way.

1 Like

Welcome friend! I started where you were, 0 skate knowledge. Have no fear (well have one fear but I’ll get to that later)!

I now have 1 fully working mountainboard, 1 hybrid all terrain cruiser, and a 3rd board in the works. The path is this website and the journey is going to be epic.

Back to that one fear. This hobby will drain your wallet. I planned on making one board and am up to 3 now. It’s like picking up a really strong cursed sword in a video game. Ultimately worth it.

This topic is a great place to start

Annnnnnd go!

3 Likes

For some folks, this isn’t a hobby, but just transportation. Like what a soccer mom does with a minvan.

5 Likes

get out more or build a 12s board

5 Likes

Woah. Does this happen to all motor pulleys???

@taz @MysticalDork @Dareno did some research and it seems that 5A is through the C pad so should be good then :ok_hand:
Thanks ma peeps!

2 Likes

Where’s the “multi quote” button?

1 Like

I have two 12S boards. They’re both 12S LiFePO4 and charge to 43.8V

You find ESCs rated for more than 60V and maybe I’ll go over 10S :stuck_out_tongue: Until then, it’s just foolish. The risk/reward is not favorable.

1 Like

The Focbox unity was tested to 14s, I think it can hadle 12s and the voltage spikes at this point.

You can do that if you wish, it’s your face.

Ask any professional electrical engineer what they think about feeding an inductive load with 50V+ square waves on parts rated at 60V absolute maximum.

4 Likes

@b264 84v FOCer?

1 Like

racerstar 5065 or maytech 5065 ? (And where to order)

This should open some doors. The new problem is going to be that while making a 20S esk8 if you accidentally shock yourself you can die… 84V DC is not a joke and doesn’t fuck around.

But yeah I would go 18S on that ESC. Carefully.

What is the best way to drill penetrations through the edge of an enclosure for wire pass throughs? I don’t want the wires trapped when I want to get inside the enclosure. I can’t figure out how to clamp the enclosure securely on my drill press and I don’t trust my hand to drill through the edge.

Is it ABS? Because I definitely hand-drill ABS. Make an indent first with an awl if you have one else a drywall screw. You can also use an X-acto knife on ABS if you’re super-careful not to lop off the end of your finger.

Always drill a pilot hole first dead centre of the actual hole size. Much easier to centre a small drill bit than a large. I use a bradawl sometimes too. This thing is my favourite tool for being careful though.

You just use a very sharp bit the same size as the tip of the cone bit and slowly bore out the hole to the right size.

2 Likes