Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

Yeah, I had a good laugh when I saw the autocorrected text.

1 Like

Seriously though, sounds like the element has gone and theres not much you can do about that.

Its basically a cylindrical toaster.

3 Likes

@PrivacyDoctor

2 Likes

thanks for the thoughts! I’ll get that tarab then because it looks fire

2 Likes

hi there community!
I moved from “other forum” recently :stuck_out_tongue:

After frying my FOCBOX because of faulty FW version now I want to be completely sure that I have correct version loaded.
Question is: What is a default and SAFE FW version for FOCBOX?

4 Likes

Hey bro-

Welcome! I matched your trust level from the old forum here. 3.62 FW seems like an agreed-upon safe bet at this time. Should be in the 1.25 tool.

Or go with Ackmaniac (also available from the above link).

4 Likes

done the update on both focboxes, one of them is showing now that all is ok and it was updated but the other one is updating normally without any problems and finishing it but then it says that the FW is old and it will be connected in limited mode

chart says that FW is 2.18 still :roll_eyes:

edit: bootloader problem?

Which FW should I use my unity with? Should I set it up with the FOCBOX UI or the FOCBOX TOOL?

I am going to use a metr pro module, how do I evade this happening to me?

2 Likes

This is why people want these banned. That was painful to watch

4 Likes

I almost punched my monitor and I know it wouldnt even turn it off.

2 Likes

Question regarding vesc tool and onboard data saved on the vesc:

Vesc tool has an “Log analysis” tab, where it seems like the vesc saves ride data such as speed, and GPS data (which ESCs have that? Or do you need a dongle for GPS?). I was thinking of buying an action camera, and thought that it would be cool to overlay my current speed and values like motor current on top of the footage. Seems like this data can be exported as a CSV file, so all I’d have to do is write a program to parse the file and make a video file that I would later overlay in my video editor.

So, my questions are:

• Which ESCs have this GPS feature working?
  • Has someone tried doing this already?
  • Is the data cleared every time you turn the board off? If so, can I export it via bluetooth somethow?
  • Should I just buy a Metr module instead and use that for data collection for my purpose?
  • I have a Davega X. Could it help me reach my goal in any way?
1 Like

​

1 Like

What do you mean? Are you saying that there was not a FW bug but rather him going full throttle? So you are not suggesting using the UI but rather the tool to program the ESC?

1 Like

you mean that I can upload 4.2 FW (latest supported by VESC Tool) to my FOCBOX?

You can, but I would try Ackmaniac 3.103 until the 4.x branch gets its bugs worked out or until the OpenRoad branch starts to exist.

2 Likes

I’m not saying anything. I’m just saying this is the reason. Things happen and when they do, people say we can’t use them. It’s just a shitty situation

How can it be that people discharge lipos to 3v per cell? My pack is at 7% with 3.5xV per cell (6s)

Youre using a battery monitor that has its cutoff set at higher voltage levels than usual but actually really good for preserving battery cycles on your lipos. I wouldn’t discharge them past 3.3v but 3.5 is even better and there is very little distance at that far on the discharge curve anyway.

1 Like

It depends largely on the cell and specific chemistry some have lower discharge voltage but there is always a “cliff” in the discharge graphs after you get beyond some voltage it pretty quickly goes to 0 and if you hit the edge of the cliff the cells sustain some damage and you lose cycles. Setting higher cut offs makes sure under load you don’t pull the cells down to the edge of the discharge cliff.

I’ve set my vesc voltage cutoff to 42-40v.

Just came back from a ride and plugged one of the batteries in my charger which says its at 7% with a voltage of 21.3x volt or something.

But thats what i don’t get. if discharge about 4v from 100-7%. How can there be 3v left but with only 7%?