Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

No. Motor amps can exceed battery amps, but not vice versa.
You set battery amps 30a per ESC and for the motor amps you set whatever you want up to the max amp rating of each motor, that controls your acceleration.

1 Like

thanks for the recommendations! would you know approximately the charging time for each charger pair 10s5p 30q?

One of these three answersā€¦

Bout tree fiddyā€¦

Bout an hourā€¦

Iā€™m too tard to do 2nd grade ā€œxā€ based mathā€¦

I think itā€™s the second but somebody with the formuoli can come tell ya fer sureā€¦ I gotta figure out what drug you smoke for proper sleep.

Do not go above 5A charging if you are unsure of your wiring harness or if your charge port is a barrel (laptop charger style) jack.

1 Like

If I set max motor amps to 80, but my Max battery amps to 60, how will adding that extra 20 make a difference?

So I was thinking about this. If Iā€™m starting from a stop, Iā€™m not using many volts but Iā€™m using more amps, so does it convert the energy to have output more amps and less volts?

Be sure to check out the search once you have some key terms but fine to ask here too or ask for elaboration in the thread.

Roughly speaking yes it uses less effective voltage at low rpm on the motor side, also motor coils make it an inductive load and other details in the thread.

1 Like

I like how when I opened the thread, it just brings be back to this thread

1 Like

Heh yah thereā€™s posts under the links but I see how someone could get stuck in a loop :joy:

1 Like

But thank you for that, to be honest, up until just recently I thought motor amps and battery amps were the save

No problem definitely a confusing nuance at first. Way to go is just set battery limits based on what your cells/battery can handle safely with regards to charge and discharge keeping in mind peaks are typically short and I set motor limits so I donā€™t get thrown off accelerating or braking.

1 Like

Okay, I appreciate your time

The math is simple:

Ah (Amp hours) of pack divided by A (amps) of charger gives you the ā€¦ h (hours).
For a 5p of 30Qs the Ah of the pack is 5*3Ah = 15Ah.

So if you have a 3A charger, thatā€™s 5 hours.

1 Like

Two singles are much more repairable if/when something breaks and you donā€™t have to replace both if there is an issue with one. Often you can ride home on one side if there is a malfunction. Esk8 stuff fails all the time and a dual turns into a brick if there is a minor problem instead of being able to fix the side that is broken.

1 Like

To be fair if half of my esc fails Iā€™m calling Uber. If a belt snaps Iā€™m calling Uber. Ainā€™t sitting on the side of the road reconfiguring to single drive and/or troubleshooting errors on my phone. I bring a small tool pack with me for small issues but a catastrophic failure like that Iā€™m over it. lol

• Assuming the failure did not catapult me and I need to go to ER
2 Likes

I donā€™t take boards apart on the side of the road either apart from some minor issues like changing a wheel bearing or maybe a beltā€¦ Lyft is greatā€¦or often the dual will just make it home anyway with only one side workingā€¦without working on anythingā€¦

But then once you get home, youā€™ll be kicking your own ass that you decided to buy a dual and now you have to buy two more ESCs instead of one more and do all the labor and installation and programming and everything that goes along with itā€¦ twiceā€¦ instead of once.

1 Like

Disregarding the actual cost of the part, labor is similar? no? Say 1 side of 2 blew, you will need to disconnect battery line, phase lines, 1 canbus, and program the new esc once.

A dual blows, you will need to disconnect 1 battery line, 2 sets of phase lines, but no canbus, and here is where it gets tricky. IMO a dual should only need to be programmed once (i.e. unity). A dual should not need to be programmed twice. Thatā€™s called 2 singles on 1 PCB.

Thank you for your help!
Would an 8A charger harm my batteries by charging faster?
Which pin of the charger is the most recommended?

:fu:t3::fu:t3::fu:t3:

I donā€™t even see the schooner here.

Does anybody have a good website to buy motor shafts?
Europe preferably.
I need a 10mm shaft for 6384 (APS) that steps down to 8mm
This is a follow up to this

What thread type is the Matrix II axle? I think M10x1.0 but not sure

And where can I cheaply get 8 of them?

1 Like