Archived: the OG noob question thread! šŸ˜€

As long as the majority of the smoke is retained or replaced with fresh smoke, you should be fine :+1:

3 Likes

do you have a link for some good replacement magic smoke?

2 Likes

Iā€™m still under the magic smoke purchasing age in my country :frowning:

4 Likes

plenty of magic smoke here in casa de sesat

3 Likes

Hi Guys,

Is there somebody who is kind of an expert with VESC and the VESC-Tool and can help me?

I have a motor-kit und set it up 3 months ago and everything was working perfectly, until one day it suddenly wasnā€™t anymore. First I thought it was a bad connection somewhere, but after I checked everything I found out that the motors only start to stutter over a certain current (more than 2A, the motors are rated for continuos 60A, the ESC for 80A and the Battery 60A with capable peaks of 150A)ā€¦ Or over a certain threshold of the duty cycle?

And honestly, I donā€™t know what to doā€¦ I donā€™t think the motors are fried, nor the ESCsā€¦ I really would like to fix this and ride :sob:

I would really appreciate some help.

My setup:
MOTOR TYPE - DUAL DIRECT DRIVE MOTOR
MAX POWER - 4000 WATTS Per Motor
MAX AMPS - 80 AMPS Per Motor
KV RATING - 90 KV
MAX VOLTAGE - 12S (50.4V)
MOTOR POLES - 28 Poles

Battery:
60amp Continous / 150amp Peak BMS.
12S4P = 12S = 44.4v Nominal and 4P equals 12,000mah. Peak voltage is 50.4v.

Remote:
2.4GHz nano Remote Controller

ESC: VESC Firmware 4.1

What I did so far:

1. Flashed new firmware on the two ESCs (nothing surprising here)

2. Ran the motor detection on both motors, separately and linked with canbus. (both methods were without surprise working well. Every time motor was correctly detected and I could specify the turning direction and test it with the available buttons)

3. Remote detection and setup (without issues)

4. As soon I start this setup everything goes wrong, motor shuttering and it sounds scary as hell. What I found out is, if I am very, very gently with the throttle the motors spinn up nicely. Applying some resistance and the shuttering starts again.
    With the realtime data display I tested out, that higher currents or higher duty cycles caused this effect.

5. I tried every thinkable combination of esc and motor (always reflashing and detecting again).

1 Like

Hi Patrick-

First off, welcome to esk8.news! I bumped your account so youā€™re not limited in posting or messaging.

Have you considered walking back to a previous version of Vesc Tool (I still use 0.83) or trying it with Ackmaniac?

You can find previous versions of vesc tool here:

Hereā€™s a great Ack runthrough with the hirsute and girthy @mmaner:

There have been some reports of weird drivetrain behaviour with 4.1 and I got firmware timeouts when I checked it out the other day.

7 Likes

Thanks Mate! It was just a Software issueā€¦ Weeks of problemtracking and searching for the issueā€¦ And the answerā€¦ softwareā€¦

7 Likes

I feel like I saw this video somewhere

I had quirks with my DD with 4.1 changed to ach fw. Likely only tested on trampa esc.

3 Likes

My last part, 12s4p battery, arrives tomorrow for my first DIY board. Iā€™m having vesc tool anxiety for Iā€™ve never programmed one,dual flipsky v6. Iā€™m 50+ years old and not overly computer literate. Any advice?

One specific question: Iā€™m using flipsky vx2 remote which is not plugged into ppm. Do I need to program anything for this remote in the vesc tool? Otherwise just tape up ppm harness on fsesc?

1 Like

Hello,
I got some resistance on one of the motors with my TB Direct Drives while one is freerolling easily. They are both tightened the same on the axle and the motors are secured. I donā€™t have a battery yet to test them under power yet, is this normal ? Is one rolling too easily or the opposite ? Thanks for the help :slight_smile:

(warning, vertical video featuring hot fingering action of DD)

1 Like

Are the phase wires touching?

3 Likes

I will try again making sure they donā€™t when I get back home and report. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Canā€™t help you with the VX2, but everything you need to step through programming your vesc is in the official Vedder web site documentation.

Or you can go with the very popular Ackmaniac version, explained here by the bearded man who wears frilly dresses in private:

2 Likes

If you use the UART ug yoh donā€™t need to program anything in the vesc tool (just make sure that UART is enabled as an input)

The rest has to be configured o the remote itself.

If you were to use ppm(pwn) youā€™d need to do the inlut wizard.

Will that fit to Caliber trucks?
also, what fit u do between mount and clamp? 1mm on diameter is ok?
(Should I do a 29mm?)
Thanks!

Snitch!

snitch 2

3 Likes

To protect your Unity, I would not depend on the antispark it has, itā€™'s cheap and weak, it worksā€¦ but if it breaks replacing it is a mundane task.

Anyone have recomendations on The best type of Bearing to use with the Enertion Raptor 2.1 Silver Hub motors ( im aware there are like 4 motor versions ) more seeking the most efficient type of bearing.

https://shop.eriks.nl/en/bearings-ball-bearings/

shopping here.

Most roads i ride are perfectly smooth, but theres also a fair amount of bumps on other routes, 70% of the time itā€™s perfect roads.

I replaced them with standard Enduro steel bearings, no prob so far.