Archived: the OG noob question thread! 😀

I don’t know anything about the DieBieMS — but you can certainly connect the BMS to the FSESC and power on then configure on PC.

About hooking the cells to the BMS, I don’t know.

Alternatively you can use a 9V battery to power the FSESC but you can’t do motor detection or anything, only configure firmware. Not really recommended.

1 Like

It’s for my mountainboard so I’m riding with bindings at least. The input lights go on and the esc makes a bit of audible humming noise when I turn the remote off, if the remote had already connected to the receiver. It doesn’t happen when I first turn the board on just after turning the remote off after establishing connection so I’m concerned of getting bucked off if it disconnects mid ride

1 Like

How do you center Bergs? The rims are centered but the tire has some wobble to it. I took it apart but it’s not any better

1 Like

And what pressure will make the tires last longest? 60kg rider on asphalt

Connect your ESC to vesc tool, and look at the realtime PPM values. Ideally your midpoint (neutral) should be 1500, with full trhottle being 2000 and full brake being 1000. You want your receiver to go back to 1500 when you power off your remote. If it doesn’t, then you need to set your failsafe on the remote side, not in the ESC settings. (That procedure varies by remote/rx brand.)

1 Like

The mini remote has a tutorial

1 Like

guys, is it ok if one of the “battery to vesc” wires is 8 inches longer than the other vesc in a dual setup? i have played all the tetris i can and its the only solution.

1 Like

Not a problem at all.

1 Like

I generally agree with what others are saying here if you have the midpoint set correct and the receiver sends idle/midpoint when it has no signal from transmitter then you should get no braking. If the receiver comes disconnected from the VESC there is a timeout to handle that which includes optional braking but for transmitter disconnect from receiver the VESC is none-the-wiser it just continues getting PWM signal from receiver

Things to check are PWM realtime data when throttle is idle but TX is on vs TX off and maybe adjust deadband to compensate for difference.

1 Like

I think that timeout is more for “your receiver wire rattled loose” and not “your remote lost connection”

5 Likes

For custom batteries, what gauge wire do you use for balance wires and terminal wires?

Depends on the amps it can output, but 22 for balance

1 Like

I’ll be running 4P 30Qs. I think for power output, I’m aiming for around 60amps (15A per cell). 22 for balance leads? I’m anticipating charging between 4-8A.

Bigger is always better but you should be safe with…
12 awg for the main pack leads
16 awg for the charge leads
22 awg for the balance leads

2 Likes

I’m a bit confused by the vesc tool documentation.
The Motor Current Max Brake setting in the vesc tool documentation says it’s the max power to use when braking, and the energy goes back to the battery. However, you set the Battery Current Max Regen separately. If you set the Motor Current Max Brake to a higher value than the Battery Current Max Regen, does it then start using power from the battery to slow down the motors instead of using the induced current to recharge?

If this is the case, I plan to set my Battery Current Max Regen to -8.5A since my batteries max charge rate is -9A, and a Motor Current Max Brake to about -15 A since I want the extra braking power in the case of a needing a short stop.

Anything I should salvage on this for repairing a future esc?

I don’t think so, maybe the caps but everything would be damaged from fire if it was hot enough to punch a hole through the PCB

Edit: crush it up to use as frit

1 Like

Lol. I did take off the wires as I wanted my bullet connectors back but i was making sure that other than that and the heatsinks, nothing was useful and unfindable

I think the drv and some other stuff could be still good. If you don’t need it, sent it to @seaborder :sweat_smile: he can sure find something to use for future repair.

Paging @seaborder if you want it come in dm :slight_smile:

2 Likes