Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

it does not exist…yet. when it does, i will be sure to hoard a box full of it and send it ur way

3 Likes

Does anyone know if JP’s revamped focbox unity+ (with the xt90s input connector) is compatible with davega x? For some reason i feel like one of the compromises may have been the comm port but hopefully I’m wrong.

Only asking bc someone with a kaly that has one of these in it wants to pay me to install a davega x and I want to make sure it’s going to work before I tell him to order it. Thanks in advance!

It’s just a unity with the wrong connectors attached. If you put vesc firmware on it it will work

2 Likes

Wizards of esk8, answer me this:
Why do caliber trucks use 50° typically but channel trucks do 30-35°, yet channel trucks can turn just as well or even better?

I’ve got them in stock, with the required hardware, and a TPU dust cover that I designed myself. Quick US shipping :grin:

They are, and they are :grin:

6 Likes

Guys I’m redirecting this question here but believe it deserves a proper topic

How do you achieve freewheel with VESC?

1 Like

If I had to guess, I would say that it has more to do with how the bushings / springs work that just the difference in angle.

You’re talking about two completely different ways of achieving a turn. On RKP trucks, your turn is restricted by two things, the pivot cup, and the bushings. The angle at which the truck sits will affect how those two things are compressed.

On a mountainboard truck, your turn is only really restricted by the directional forces that go into the bushing/spring vertically (mostly), so you end up with the bushing and turning forces reacting very differently.

That all being said, I still haven’t ridden channel trucks yet, so once I have my MTB complete I may have a better idea

1 Like

Here is my enclosure. The middle of the deck is the narrowest. It it okay that there is only 5mm of room on the edge of the hole or would it ruin the integrity of the deck with it being so close to the edge? I have very little room but maybe I can make the holes more inward.

2 Likes

How are you planning to weld nickel and solder series connections on those boys when they’re in there so tight?

I think you may be underestimating how thick nickel ends up being

4 Likes

I have 2mm of room. I estimate the double stack 0.2mm will take up 0.5mm each side so 1mm and a little extra tolerance → 2mm. Is that enough?

1 Like

Where are your balance wires and series wires going to go?

2 Likes

There will be a fold of nickel that goes on top of the cells. I will adjust the height of the enclosure if more room is needed. I added a cover that I will add caulking to seal the battery (indented lip around the cover). The gap in front is where a connector will go in between these segments for the series and balance wires

I dont think you are going to have enough room for the nickel fold and solder connections, but I could be wrong.

Just make sure that your folded nickel is not being pressed into the cells when it’s all sealed up, otherwise you are creating a point that may cut/wear through your insulation and short against the cell.

4 Likes

Thank you for the warning. If I feel there is too much pressure when adding the cover then I will remake the segment with more vertical room. My question was with the holes going into my deck. Will it ruin the deck because it’s too close (5mm) to the edge?

I think it’ll be fine, most forces will be downwards, not to the side. But what material are you making your enclosure out of? Gotta be pretty strong to hold that many cells.

If grabbing your enclosure by both ends and shaking it with the cells inside is enough for it to snap, then it will 100% snap while riding.

3 Likes

I concur with rusins. two screws for that many cells in that shape, in a 3d printed enclosure, seems like a recipe for disaster.

Our enclosures have to be able to withstand the equivalent of picking up the board and repeatedly bashing it enthusiastically on the ground (wheels down), with nothing breaking.
The G-forces from vibrations and bumps are ridiculous. 10G is commonplace, and 100G+ is not hard either.

3 Likes

It’s not enough

2 Likes

I tried it. Does nothing. Tried braking the other prototype by hand with empty (squeezing the walls together) and I cannot break it. It is able to withstand 20lbs with me swinging the enclosure back and forth while holding onto the screw holes. While the cells are 4.5lbs

2 Likes

Still not enough IMO. Load one up with dummy weights equal to that of your cells, mount it to a wooden plank, stick a pair of trucks on one end of that plank and make like you’re trying to use the trucks to pound a railroad spike.

If the enclosure doesn’t fail after ten hits, then I’d sign off on it.

6 Likes

I have this plank. It’s okay? I don’t have trucks yet (matrix ii out of stock atm) but I will make something so I can bang the ends of the board simultaneously. Like a gap between two level platforms

1 Like