Noob question thread! 2020_Summer

Check your motor amp settings can up the motor amps until the motor is getting fairly hot the enamel on the windings will melt at something like 200C (maybe a bit less depending on the mfg) but outside of can will be near the windings temp so if you touch it and is above/near boiling it will hurt you and you will know the amp settings are too high and you are risking cooking the motor. For higher speed the battery amps will come into play but low speed torque is typically limited by motor amps.

Also make sure the esc isn’t just overheating (mosfets) if vesc then will thermal throttle at 80C or maybe 60C depending on settings in configuration/firmware (I am unsure of the defaults)

Also with no gearing I imagine you are more likely to hit various thermal limits in general but it depends on kv changes and winding wire sizes and magnet distance and strength lots of factors in going from one setup to another.

2 Likes

That one took me 30 seconds ^^
Could you please help me out? @Dareno
The title meant a lot to me, now Im facing Llama depression
68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f576f586832567569334f446e30773d3d2d3232323130303438302e313433343134383265376135356130352e6a7067

3 Likes

Mysterious are the ways of the mods :man_shrugging:

No; only Ackmaniac firmware

You’ll basically need a CV/CC DC-DC converter on your external pack that acts as a charger for the other pack, so you just connect it to the fused charge port on your board.

It seems too dangerous to try to match levels every time you plug them together.

If it was a permanent arrangement, I would match the levels and connect them in parallel… ONCE.

2 Likes

I don’t see a diagram here, but try these

5 Likes

I would put a fuse on the charge port

2 Likes

Connect the balance wires to the negative sides not the positive ones.

Slow down if you don’t want fires.

2 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :innocent: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :heart_eyes: :star_struck:

1 Like

when you block someone and someone quotes them. is the quote also hidden?

2 Likes

air hammer=handheld jackhammer essentially. those (the stainless pair) seem to be part of a universal chisel/driver set. they originally came with a handle you could pop them into

1 Like

Log out and see the thread? Or even simpler, copy/paste in a incognito tab

Whats going to happen to me if i use a gear ratio of 1:1 (16t/16t) Would i explode? calculator says it would get me 59mph :crazy_face:

1 Like

You will have a very, very low amount of torque. Probably take ten minutes to reach top speed from a stop

2 Likes

More serious question. Is there a part of the forum dedicated to finding people to ride with in your area ?

there’s an events / group rides section:

https://forum.esk8.news/c/events/8

1 Like

:crazy_face: :crazy_face: :arrow_up: :wave:t4:

4 Likes

i think (but i don’t know) that your hubs use ntc thermistors

the esc applies a current across the thermistor’s two terminals, and measures the voltage drop. the thermistor’s resistance falls as the temperature rises (hence the term ntc). the rate at which the resistance falls with respect to temperature is the so called beta coefficient,
Beta-300x198
it’s not important to understand this formula, just know that adjusting these beta values in the vesc firmware can help you either:

• calibrate the vesc’s motor temperature measurements so that it more accurately reflects the actual motor temperature, or
  • calibrate the vesc’s motor temperature measurements so that the 120° measurement better corresponds to the upper range of your motor temperature

the default beta value in the vesc firmware is 3380 kelvin. a sane range of beta values is probably 3000 to 5000. in vesc firmware version 3.28 and up this value is user configurable using vesc-tool, the setting field is simply called “beta value for motor thermistor”. in vesc firmware prior to 3.28, the beta value can be changed in #define NTC_TEMP_MOTOR(), but you’ll have to compile the binaries on your own after fucking with the source code.

i’m sorry for the late reply. i haven’t been more helpful simply because a little knowledge can be dangerous. also, i think newbies should stick to the ackmaniac fork, in which the ntc beta value isn’t easily user configurable in vesc-tool. not everyone shares this view

but, i love the smell of urethane burning early in the morning, so i’m happy to do our lord sk8tan’s bidding and point you in the direction of hell

all the best my friend

5 Likes

well he did misguide himself to cutting the wrong sensor wire. :slight_smile:

but since we seem to be about giving enough rope to hang oneself with multiple times…

the firmware variant: VESC_default_no_hw_limits.bin will eliminate that pesky 120c limit. along with other limits that you probably need to set reasonably.

2 Likes