No pictures because it is only on paper

That’s clearly a photoshop, but I’m going to say impressive just in case you have control of a large laser onboard and I’m in your orbiting path.

What do you think of the latest space garbage flotation by the Chinese? Will it burn up or puncture your shit?

1 Like

@mmaner Lol - shop has a new name now!!

2 Likes

Nah. I think you mean India shooting one of their own satellites with an anti-satellite weapon. I did a quick back of the envelope when the Chinese did it a few years back. The dire warnings about chain reaction destruction are alarmist. People forget that space is really big. 500,000 pieces of junk or whatever the latest number is between earth and geosynchronous orbit adds up to a lot of space between pieces of junk. Ignoring the volume earth takes up that is a volume of 4/3 pi (23,000 miles)^3. That is 5E13 cubic miles. With 500,000 pieces of junk that is one piece of junk in every 102 million cubic miles - a cube 4.7 million miles per side.

It is still news when the space station has to maneuver to maintain their minimum 1 in 100,000 probability of collision with a softball-sized object. They state the Indian stunt increased the probability of a collision by 44% for 10 days. Yeah, but that is 44% of a number much smaller than 1 in 100,000.

The much bigger risk is from solar storms. A 100 year solar flare could take out most of the satellites out there and the damage wouldn’t end in space. People don’t fear things that are too horrible to consider - they don’t consider them. So, stir up some space junk fear. It will be good for some funding anyway. Later on we will figure out what practical applications there are for what we invent to catch space junk.

2 Likes

India, close :joy:

That’s an interesting perspective, I guess you don’t want to be around if the softball hit. Operation Mitt

The in orbit picture might be an artist’s rendition but the satellite is real. There are 4 in orbit. Each one of these 8 reflectors gimbals in two axes so it can cover anywhere on earth. The east and west side antennas are fixed but cover the earth with hundreds of spot beams. I used to work with those two guys. Now I am the competition. The lawyers loved it, they got to write each other threatening letters.

2 Likes

I take it all back Norm, you are the man

They have bills to pay as well, it’s just they want you to pay them

Very cool tho, now government agency spying anecdotes will round this off nicely

2 Likes

Nah, here I’m a noob still trying to figure out my first design. The interesting thing is, satellites or skateboards, physics is physics. Maxwell and Euler figured it all out hundreds of years ago and we just keep copying their work.

4 Likes

I started placing orders last night. Deck, enclosure, trucks, Unity. I was a couple clicks from ordering the battery but something was bugging me. I didnt know what but I went back and looked at it again. I almost ordered a double stack battery to go in a single stack enclosure. Yep. Noob.

3 Likes

We’ve all been there, at least you caught it :).

Wait on the Hoyt GB, unless you’re ready and it’s not then bamboo for +$100

Personally think the Nylon would be really hardy, you can always cover it in a fabric a-là-sender

Frit even per today’s fashions

1 Like

Okay I have ordered all the major components other than the battery. Highlighted are all on their way. Exchanging emails with Anne at Subsonics for custom colors and engraving on the Century 40 deck.
SixShooters here already. I guess I had better get to work on the motor mounts.

2 Likes

One piece motor mount? Or a 2 piece?

Dunno. Haven’t started looking to see if anything has been released for CNC. That is my first option, unless something turns up to purchase at a good price when I look. CNC machine is free for me at work.

Theres this

also we designed this - which is getting machined at the moment. Press fit SR RKP and TKP clamp

6 Likes

You selling those or just generous with your designs? I prefer bolts or set screws to interference fit myself.

1 Like

It’s more of a compression fit, the spacer between the wheel and the hanger keep the motor mount in place. They are beefy spacers too.

1 Like

I’m not selling them at this time but I had a bunch made so people could test it

@akhlut sells his mounts

1 Like

:arrow_up: this is the difference between

“I’m doing this for money”

and

“I’m doing this for the love of esk8”

Make sure it’s perfect before stuff starts getting produced and/or sold. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see where you coming from but if this works well then it will be great for people to use

Also some of us older guys already have a ‘steady’ income from years of sweating at the coalface of corporate stupidity or other endeavours.

And so we ‘waste’ time time working on ideas for free because we find it enjoyable & ever so slightly cheaper than booze, hookers, gambling and drugs; choose your combo

I have admiration for those seeking an income in esk8, it can’t easy. To have any chance you have to make it from the ground up with real differentiation.

No plans to live off esk8 here, but happy to play with the toys.

Although I have an idea…

3 Likes