[No_Name_Yet] | eMTB | MarkOneBoard MTB Cheapo deck | etc

I have been taking pictures of my MTB build progression. Well it will quite possibly be a long way before completion so I will use this thread to keep a log and ask for help or advice.

Let’s start with a parts list:
Deck Mark one Board Bstock MTB
Trucks MBS Matrix Pro II with Etoxxx metal baseplate
Wheels sunmate superstar clones 8 inch pneumatic
MBS F5 bindings

Power train, so far I have
• 2 Bioboards (Maytech) sealed 6374 150kv motors
• 2 ollin 4.12 VESC

Not yet acquired

• @Moon gear drive

• Battery
    I still need to figure out the battery situation but I am hoping for a 12s6P with Samsung 30q.

This is my first mountain board, I felt that it was a little narrow. Although I have the bindings, I never used them before.
I decided to add Gas pedals like @glyphiks did on his MBS deck, mainly to have more room for my feet and add some concave which I think will help with the maneuverability.

I had some 18mm birch plywood to which I glued another piece of 6mm to add some thickness. Then cut 4 pieces of the same size.
I “planed” the area’s where the pieces of plywood would be glue on.
Cut a rabbet about the same depth as the thickness of the deck on each of the 4 pieces and glued them to the deck.

After a day or 2 for the glue to cure, I proceeded to carve the pedals to the desired shape or as close as I could. I filled the gaps, holes and areas I messed up on with wood putty and sanded smooth.

Next, partly in order to add strength to my little mod and partly because I wanted to learn how to, I decided to skin both sides in Carbon fiber. Followed steps as described in videos and on the forums, I’d say that structurally the results are good but aesthetically it is ugly as fuck I had black base coat dripping from the holes leaving black resin stalactites on the other side. Looks ugly but I can cover it with grip tape.

After both sides were skinned I proceeded to paint the edges red, cause I like black and red combo and the gear drives are going to be anodized red.

Applied 2 coats of epoxy resin as a clear coat I think I applied too much cause the excess ran to from the angled parts to the flat areas.

That’s it for now, I will update once I make some progress.

39 Likes

(Reserved for future updates)

7 Likes

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Welcome to Derail Jail

Been waiting for you to post this. Good shit man.
Following

5 Likes

Thanks dude, (see @BillGordon that’s the kind of ego boost we need).

I am not really good at recording my progress so I might add some stuff I may have forget when I remember them.

5 Likes

Actually, you’re right that I was so busy being a turd that I didn’t commend you on progress. Looks damn good.

4 Likes

You are a fucking legend, that deck🔥

2 Likes

And this guy knows fire ^^^^

13 Likes

:house::fire::fire_engine::sweat_drops::rotating_light:

4 Likes

Exxxxxcellent bro, you did a sweet job with that deck, look forward to seeing the rest of the build :call_me_hand:

Edit: i’m yet to try it, but I think that hanging the deck vertically while epoxy is setting should help with the pooling

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I will try that next time.
BTW the resin I am using is from AUS the name is Allnex it’s a 1 to 5 mix ratio slow setting. Far as I can tell no bubbles.

1 Like

Great job on that deck! Since you have a biplane worth of wings on that thing, is this gonna be a jumping board? :rofl: Seriously, the light weight (I assume) is the main reason I wanted one of those decks, but the narrowness was a concern. How much does the deck weigh after all your mods?

2 Likes

Thanks
I just put it on the scale it weight 2.4kg.
I think it is still acceptable, I don’t think I am going to do much jumping :sweat_smile:
What got me was mainly the price, couldn’t find a MTB deck for less 100$ shipped. My only regret is not buying 2 even lower unit price.

5 Likes

Next time buy 2, glue together and make integrated MTB deck :wink: noice build btw

5 Likes

Thank you, an integrated MTB deck would be rad.

3 Likes

Looking great! The concave looks comfy. Cant wait to see the finished build :slight_smile:

1 Like

like I said, still have quite some of these decks here :wink: @Tamatoa

But serious now, i love what you did with the deck, looks very nice!

3 Likes

Same, amazing work on the deck :+1: !!
Can’t wait, what is the next step ? :stuck_out_tongue:
Following !

3 Likes

Great work my dude! I shared the same concern about the narrowness of the board but with those pedals, it should be an amazing ride. I’m hoping to get pedals added to my DW2 deck like this.

That shape looks so sexy.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, progress will be a little slow but I will post updates.

@Venom121212 I push it in the drive way and I feel like i could ride on roads without bindings and use the bindings for off roads. The pedals help with steering I need to try it powered to be sure tho.

3 Likes