Waterproofing at all costs: a discussion.

Yeah the flipsky enhanced antispark does support roll to start, but I’m not sure I’d add a second antispark.

I don’t think mine has any antispark, and if it does it’s just a 20k resistor than I can remove

The 6.6 plus doesn’t have a power switch?

oh yeah there’s a switch plug on the board, I was gonna leave it unpopulated

Does the esc power on without the switch? If it does then you can just put an antispark in

1 Like

Not technically, or maybe yes, but I’ve built with a Unity that used roll-to-start. But I always advise having a loopkey or some sort of hard disconnect mechanism. The Unity roll to start stopped working in short order and now it just falls back on the loopkey I’d put there.

I also made another skate with no power button and it works okay, but I dislike not having a loopkey. I didn’t have a place to put a loopkey in that deck.

1 Like

The purpose for me is a more waterproof enclosure with less points of ingress so an external loopkey is just a bulky power button in my eyes. I might try “always on” and just keep it at a decent charge so it never leaks it’s self dead in storage.

A loopkey is extremely easy to make waterproof. Coming from the dude who will skate in a thunderstorm.

It’s also a very nice hard disconnect.

7 Likes

I’m more worried about the hole in my enclosure, and idk why I’d need a hard disconnect.

West System 650 epoxy is your friend.

3 Likes

I have several boards with no power button.
I use the built in roll to start on the unity or the Flispky smart antispark.

my main purpose is to not have an extra button on the enclosure.

most of the time it is ok.

some boards I have to push further than I wish…
like 10 15.ft…

to turn on on the bench I use a power drill and roll it against the wheel…

9 Likes

This is what I want to do, why would you need to push more than 3-4 feet though?

Never know why you’d need lifeboat or a fire extinguisher or a CDC … until you do need them.

5 Likes

I’m pretty concerned about the looks too. I’d rather get a fancier switch than a loopkey. Or no switch at all.

Now, the truth comes forth :crazy_face:

Reducing functionality for appearance reasons isn’t my jam, but if it’s your jam, then loopkeys are rather difficult to stomach. Although some have been made to look pretty awesome.

2 Likes

I’m running no switch (just roll to start) on my eMTB, but I can also easily pop the top-box enclosure open and hard-disconnect the battery if need be (which I pretty much always do when I am done using the board). Having a hard disconnect in your circuit is a good safety measure, and also makes storing boards long term a lot easier.

1 Like

I’ve heard of both unities and stormcores glitching and being unusable until they have had a hard disconnect/reconnect.

Also, its just peace of mind to be able to completely disconnect easily.

Lastly, emergency situations. Any number of things could happen where it would be ideal to just pull the power.

I’d never build without a loop key of some sort unless it were just too hard/impractical to put one in. There are a quite a few ingenious loopkey designs around. I particularly like @janpom ‘no remove’ loopkey model that he was kind enough to share. Will see if I can find it

Edit: found it

13 Likes

I have a 9S single drive build on ahmyo akashas that has a focbox and a flipsky eswitch in it. no power button, just a charge port. works great, I don’t think I’ve ever had to do anything with it after it was built.

9 Likes

I am not really good with the Why of all this stuff…

but mine do seem to vary quite a bit as to how much spinning it takes…

the 2 flipsky smart switches are really fast…
the Unities are the ones that vary.

1 Like

these are good considerations.

if my shit falls in a lake I’ll have to watch it sit there and burn…

I decided to forego this robustness for reasons that are not as good.

I am ok with my reasons…

I have never done loopkeys so think of me as liking to live dangerously…

6 Likes