New metroboard possible faulty charger?

Hey guys need some advice, i’m just getting back into the esk8 scene.
yesterday I purchased a metroboard from a fellow in the surrounding area. After initially checking it out and test driving it it seemed everything checked out, however today I think I found something that’s not working properly. few videos showing what I presume to be a faulty antispark/bad charger? I’m not sure as to what is causing the spark and why the charger is flashing green to red. any advice or ideas?

any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 Likes

Could be a just bad DC socket test voltage of the charger it should be 41.5 to 42v. Antispark has nothing to do with charging circuit.

1 Like

Might be a faulty charger or a faulty BMS. As @Movation said, the anti-spark has no relation to your issue.

Did you try contacting Metroboard support?

2 Likes

Is the charger plugged in the wall socket?

1 Like

I plugged the charger into the wall first, verified power(not measured with meter) then plugged it into the board.

I have contacted Metro support this morning shortly before posting here, assuming they are in the relatively same timezone(US midwest) it’s sunday funday for them.

Today i’m headed to a buddies house where all my tools are currently at so i’ll be able to check charger output and see where that leaves me.

I only noted the antispark due to never really comming across a setup that sparked that much when plugging into the charger. Been around the RC/quad/esk8 scenes for a few years and had many setups that did not act as this one has so far.

Spoke with the previous owner just now and he noted that it’s always sparked and that he never really looked at the light on the system to see if it was flashing as I showed in my video. When I picked it up yesterday it was at a charging station in his garage and the light on the charging brick was solid green indicating it had a proper full charge.

To me it seems like the BMS is unable to balance your battery.

1 Like

@b264

Anything like this from your mental Metroboard database?

3 Likes

how would I go about figuring out if it’s faulty?

Try switching the board on before plugging in the charger to it.

1 Like

what am I looking for when I do this?

@BenjaminF

Your Metro ever do this?

No spark?

1 Like

just went to go try this and the charger is fully lit to solid red at the moment. Tells me it was trying to balance it out before progressing the charge right?

didn’t expect this little brick to have that capability I guess is where my initial confusion came from.

Some BMSs need to be switched on during charging.
Spark = voltage difference.
What you want is a small difference in potential when plugging in the charger.
Depending on the BMS it may mean you need to switch it on.

3 Likes

that makes complete sense, thank you very much guys. So glad I came here versus trying to find the info somewhere else!

2 Likes

Papa Metroboard is here… Why not give him a tag? :man_shrugging:t2:

@isabar

1 Like

Metroboard typically replies during the night.

1 Like