New Build, looking for some guidance

You may not have access to it, it comes when you get to level 2 on the forums. If you have it, it appears at the bottom left of a comment you make it looks like a tiny pencil

2 Likes

Yeah, looks like it’s not there for me…

Looking through the MBS site and all their 30 degree tip angled decks are sold out… I’ll keep looking at other vendors…

Then I guess you need to get to level 2 on the forums. Should be a message from the forums bot in your mailbox that talks about how you can reach that

i’d be wary of the 6.6 dual + from FS

they’ve had a track of shitty QC, though i’m not sure if things have changed since 2019 (i’ve broken 2)

if they’re priced at ~$340 (based on your post, which is a bit strange that they’d mark it up $70 in the past 2 years) i’d recommend the 60D+ from lacroix

makerX also sells some very nice escs if you wanna take a peek

not 100% if the xeniths are still available, but those would also be worth taking a look at

happy building!

2 Likes

100% agree with @poastoast

Or for more coin

3 Likes

I wouldn’t buy anything from them, commonly called DIYE, or from MBoards, and I wouldn’t buy ESCs from Flipsky although certain models can be decent.

2 Likes

There’s a thread on their price increases but it basically comes down to supply shortages, specifically of ICs they need for ESCs.

Anecdotally it doesn’t seem like they have, I got a 4.20 in february that lasted about two weeks

2 Likes

I think their 4.20s really don’t have any quality control or testing. On these forums everyone and their moths has or knows someone who has had one of them go bad. The thing is the 6.6 plus I do believe are far superior. I haven’t heard too many stories about them bricking and they seem pretty good to me. I’m sure there are some people who had other experiences but there are a few bad apples/defective products with every company. I’m general the people on here are correct, I don’t think it’s wise to buy a ton from flipsky, but their vx1 remotes, motors and in my opinion their 6.6 plus is worth the buy for sure

2 Likes

I’ve had two FSESC 4.20 working flawlessy for a long time. But maybe I got lucky, and certainly running them at 22A battery max each doesn’t hurt. That’s probably why they still work.

But Flipsky ESCs seem like a gamble.

3 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’m still running a FS 6.6+ since last summer (July 2020?). No failures yet, at 12s and set to 40a max battery. Haven’t managed to bring it above 30a draw I think.

Either way, still works. I just know not to ask too much of it.

2 Likes

Yeah sorry I actually got sidetracked and forgot the build is proposing the 6.6. Again all anecdotally, but I’d agree the VESC 6 hardware from FS seems much more reliable. A comparison I’ve seen made in other industries seems to apply here: “Cool! They haven’t found a way to save enough money on this product to make it shit yet!” Seems vedders VESC6 work is just a better starting point.

And also yeah @b264 I blew mine up because I didn’t really know better and used whatever motor current the FOC detection gave me, I think 54A motor so that’s on me. I still think it’s important to evaluate them based less on absolute quality (it could be a reliable ESC under a certain current limit so it’s not objectively trash) and more on the claims of it being a “50A” ESC

1 Like

If you go the Flipsky route, you may want to consider buying them off Amazon for the return policy. I dealt with Flipsky directly and their support is pretty bad. They don’t post their hours and are in China and finally told me a two month warranty from date of shipment… Good grief. At least with Amazon, returning faulty parts is easy. They seem to have increased their prices recently which makes them even less desirable an option.

2 Likes

I was blocked from posting for 24 hours because I posted too much on my first day lol.

I found this, $60 more than the board I was originally thinking about, and it doesn’t come with trucks or anything (not that I need them, but…)

1 Like

Anybody have experience with a MakerX ESC?

It seems it’ll do what I need, and the price is attractive…

Anybody have experience with a MakerX ESC?

It seems it’ll do what I need, and the price is attractive…

There are a lot of folks on here that have used them, search around. I haven’t…

1 Like

I think I’ve narrowed down my parts list here. Only thing I haven’t found is batteries. But it’s looking like 300-400 for 15-20ah Lipos in a 12S2P configuration.

Deck

Cost: $200

Truck/Mounts/Wheels/Pulleys/Belts Kit

Cost: $115

VESC

Cost: $265

Remote

Cost: $50

Motors

Cost: $200

Battery

Total Cost
$830, not including battery

2 Likes

I think that’s definitely a better list right there IMO. As far as the deck, I think it may need modifications for 8” wheels. Is that right @Venom121212 ?

3 Likes