{Updated} SOUL SURFER (V1.2) | 6370 190KV Flipsky Motor | 2x 5S 8000mAh Lipo Batteries | 4.12 Flipsky FSESC | (COMPLETED...For now)

Little update: drilled in the screws for the gearing and for my first time ever doing that, came out even and straight first try

1 Like

Number 1 all the way.

3 Likes

Looking good, are those 12mm pulleys?

1 Like

15mm

1 Like

Update:My BMS came in yesterday, the one question is…how do I wire this all up? :joy:

Go here and just post a picture like I have in step 1. I will tell you the rest.

4 Likes

Here’s a layout of the two batteries, haven’t made the harness yet and the BMS

2 Likes

Big update! I successfully soldered my VESC

3 Likes

Looks good to me, but i dont know shit…

1 Like

Can you make a close up of the battery connection you soldered? From afar it looks like the solder hasn’t flown properly.

3 Likes

I couldn’t find a heat gun to shrink the heat shrink so that’s why it’s left open. And yea I gotta smooth the joint out more before I close it up

Make sure you reflow the whole joint instead of just heating up the top layer

8 Likes

You can use a lighter from a bit of a distance, putting it directly on will burn the heat shrink but if it’s below or you have a camping lighter that you can point at it that works well

1 Like

I agree with xsynatic - that joint looks cold. That soldering iron looks like a generic ~25-35W one, which is not enough heat IMO. It can be done with that iron, but it’s a lot harder and slower than using something more powerful, say in the 60-80 watt range.

Pro tip for soldering XT connectors and keeping the bullets from melting loose and moving inside the plastic housing: Plug the other half of the connector in while you’re soldering, it will keep everything aligned.

What does reflow mean…

1 Like

It means to re-melt all the solder. Basically you want to ensure that it is one solid solder blob, not two (or more) solder blobs just sitting on each other, only a little bit connected.

2 Likes

The solder iron I have is 90 watts. Just I didn’t add enough solder but today I fixed it

1 Like

Soldered another electronic today. Actually soldered way better then the VESC but tomorrow will fix whatever needs to be perfected, but decided to see if everything is working accordingly (I plugged in the lipo for a second to just see if anything lit up, it did so it’s a good sign everything is wired correctly)

2 Likes

just a couple bits and bobs! Then its shreddy!

2 Likes

Didn’t you go with lipo? That looks like a li-ion bms. Just make sure to change the settings… probably already covered though… I’m just surfing.