NESE, the no solder 18650 battery system

NESE Battery Holder v3.f3d (6.4 MB)

The attached is a Fusion file. To work with meshes, you have to “turn off the design history” by right clicking on the imported mesh file and then after that, right click and “convert to bRep”. That should make it a solid unless it has many many faces in which the conversion will fail…

Once it’s a solid it’s easier to work with for sure…

1 Like

Thanks. Yes, I know that trick. It’s still pretty messy to work with.

2 Likes

You will need to assemble them:
https://grabcad.com/agnius.mikutavicius-1/models

1 Like

Printed the module for the DieBieMS. The instructions call for the tabs to be 0.6mm, thick copper. Will that be able to handle the current?

That’s awesome! Thanks a lot.

Those modular blocks are super helpful. Here’s my extra safe 3P2S module with mounting holes. I added 1mm wall in the middle.

2 Likes

I have a separator in the middle like you made. You need to use base_middle_2s.
Also, since you have made it, have you accounted for the separator width so the cell still fits?
Mounting holes are also included but i have not checked if exporting model to stp does not loose this future. By default it is suppressed
Also there are suppressed cuts that are made for 2P modules.

1 Like

I know but that one is very thin and easy to break. I have several 18650 modules with a broken separator. I wanted something more rigid. I made the middle piece wider so that there’s space for a thicker separator that does not interfere with the cells. I won’t be connecting the P-groups inside the module so it’s not a problem if the piece is wider.

Ah, good to know. I didn’t see them. Anyway, it wasn’t difficult to add the hole. Working with the STEP files is a breeze. Thanks again for sharing those models!

1 Like

Yo yo. Tryna wassap n emailyou julesspinner@icloud dot com

How on earth do you get the washers and spring washers on and off the M5 bolts? I need to swap 2 bolts for longer ones (have a lot of connectors at the ends), and it’s hard as nails! Is there some trick to it?

Those are premade, pressed sets :slight_smile: You cant just get them off :laughing:
Usually what i do is use extra series bus bar, and bolt wireweb to it :slight_smile:
Takes off stresses from the module.

4 Likes

That’s a clever solution, I’ll keep that in mind for future builds! I ended up using a pulley remover tool to force the washers off, and then used a dremel to increase their inner diameter. Will share pictures of the final battery sometime this week when I make a build thread :slight_smile:

New filament is out. This is good news. The material is called Nonoilen from Fillamentum. This material is biodegradable, degrades 3x faster than usual PLA, prints same as PLA and is capable of temperatures up to 120C plus is food and dishwasher safe. I have ordered a roll to test it out on NESE modules. Using this, NESE modules would be 100% recyclable.

11 Likes

Just wanted to remind people that when building a NESE brick pack vertically, make sure you screw the tabs into the top module first, and then the bottom one. I knew this, but forgot, and while screwing in had a tab swing down and cause a short. Burn-cut my finger while removing it because it heated up in no time :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

the same thing happened to me :grin: fortunately the bus bar took all of the damage.

1 Like

Prototyping 12V 7A VRLA replacement with lifepo4. Fully integrated with no wires. Looks promising. 2000 cycles vs 200. 20A continues. For UPS battery replacements.

9 Likes

(paging @BrassMittens , @rich , @Agniusm)

Has anyone tried to make a modular battery pack (even more than NESE already is)?
i.e. a 12s6p pack in a 12s3p + 12s3p setup so that you could remove half the battery for weight savings and better jumping?

As a NESE assembly, I assume you’d need 24x 3p modules. Maybe that’s too many additional connections to qualify as ‘swappable’

Yep. I have swappable 12S3P/12S6P P42A packs on my mountainboard for exactly that reason. They are just bricks of glued and welded together cells along with LLT smart BMS?s in 3D printed cases. The cases bolt to two mounts on the board and put the two packs in parallel. So far they’ve worked out and are still balanced ±0.01V after 500 km worth of jumping.
Thingiverse link to the 3P brick packs and mounts

Not sure what your goal is but you could probably do the same thing with NESE modules if you make custom cases to enclose 12x 3P NESE modules + a BMS. I wouldn’t recommend having connections to put all the cells in parallel as that could take forever to connect/disconnect, and might be annoying if you plan to change the config frequently.

2 Likes

Ahh, so the trick is the dual BMS and putting both packs in parallel, as if you had 2x 12s3p lipo packs. Good tip!

(or 1 bms and a 13-pin balance lead connector on each pack)

1 Like

You can print 6 2s3p modules so you dont need to mount as many. You can also take 6 modules and glue them in slicer app and it will print one single modulea which will be 12S3P in single case. The issue with this is flex if its bottom deck narrow pack.

1 Like