Need help debugging hall sensor wires

So I chopped my motor leads in half so I could put a connector in-line.
So far so good, everything was working for months.
But now my hall sensors are messed up.
On one of the motors, if I check the voltage between the ground and H1/H2/H3 pins on the sensor connector and turn the motor, the voltage alternates between zero and 4.4V.
So far so good.
On the other motor tho, I get 4.4V on all three hall wires at all times when rotating the motor.

That says to me there must be a short between the +5 and hall wires.
Or maybe two or more of the hall wires are shorted together.
But when I check continuity on the sensor, none of the pins are shorted.
The fact that I am getting 4.4V out on the three sensor pins says to me none of them are disconnected.
The fact that none of the pins are continuous says to me none are shorted.
If none are disconnected and none are shorted then what’s wrong? Why are they giving 4.4V all the time?

Have you tried new vesc with old motor and new motor with old vesc yet?

That wouldn’t be easy because my other board uses bullets instead of this all in one L10 connector.

What I did try was switching the motors from left to right. What I found was that the sensor connector with “always on” sensors switches along with the motor.
That says to me the problem is with the motor (or the cable) and not with the vesc.

If you connect to the VESC Tool over USB and enable the live plotter and real time data you can view the hall voltage changing as you manually rotate the motor, might be more insightful than the multimeter

Also take the can off and there might be something visually wrong, or at the very least you can probe for continuity in the wires to the PCB

OK this is really weird. If I connect to CAN “local”, Current, Temperature, RPM, FOC and Rotor Position tab all respond to spinning the right motor as you would expect.
But if I connect to CAN “86”, the Current, Temperature, RPM and FOC tabs all switch to respond to the left motor - but the Rotor Position tab still responds to the right motor.

If I switch the motors around, now the Current, Temperature, RPM and FOC tabs switch to represent the other motor as you would expect - but now the Rotor Position shows a busted value (4 degrees) whenever the left motor is still - and shows a reasonable rotor position when the left motor is spinning.

It seems like the Rotor Position tab always reflects the rotor position of the motor on the “local” CAN no matter which CAN I have selected.

OK got that motor apart… yeah the 5V line was disconnected. It’s broken where I put the new connector on.
I don’t know how that led to all three hall pins being high… where was that voltage coming from?
I guess it comes from the vesc and somehow the halls pull those pins low?
I don’t know from electronics.

I guess this is good news - the halls are OK - I just have to redo that connector splice.
Ugh I hate messing with these teeny tiny wires.
I wish I’d never gotten fancy with this connector - I don’t have the soldering skills to do it properly.

1 Like

I’ll try to remember this and test it myself before submitting a vesc bug report.

1 Like