'Need 4 Speed (& traction)' Track specific board build thread. And ERL updates now :)

Appreciate it!! I think it’s appropriately tuned for short track already but time will tell. Front arms are set at top hole, rear arms in middle hole. Running 16/67 gear ratio on 173kv motors at 16s. Top speed around 65km/h.

So pumped to race this board!!!

1 Like

I’ve seen their truck

Now I’ve seen these 3 link trucks, but I don’t understand how they work or what they do? Do they just hold the axle in place so you don’t get that rocking back n forth from all the torque?

1 Like

They enable excellent steering and high speed stability. I’ve not ridden anything that does both. Usually tight steering means instabilty at high speed and stability at high speed means compromised steering. The 3 links enable you to have both. I’m no engineer so cant explain how, but believe me, they are something special.

5 Likes

Running 100 motor amps on 16s and pushing hard was overheating my ubox v2 very quickly. I ended up cutting out some enclosure to get more air flow and can add a heat sink if this doesn’t do the trick.

So far on T-Race time trials the extra cooling seems to be working. I’m also gradually dropping my times as I learn just how much grip the SRB rubber wheels provide. They are phenomenal on a bitumen surface! I can turn in super hard and full throttle out of a deep bend. It’s amazing!!!

Unfortunately the same grip is not there on indoor concrete tracks. I think when there’s some dust it makes traction hard to come by. I’ll try some 6inch pneumatics at the next indoor track session to compare.

9 Likes

So you can actually ride loose trucks and still have locked in trucks at speed??? I’ll have to look into that. I take it they don’t just fit into any truck

I presume you mean ‘fit any deck’. The 3 links are the trucks.

They won’t go on any deck as there is a lot of steer so wheel bite may be an issue.

2 Likes

I meant trucks cause I thought the 3links could be put on the trucks not that they were entire sets of actual trucks and links. So my mistake.

1 Like

I take it open wheel decks are the kind you need for them?

You need a deck that can accommodate pneumatics. There is a lot of steer from 3 links if set up for short track.

1 Like

Definitely not happy about putting these 6 inch pneumatics on this board, but going to see if it provides better traction on indoor concrete gokart track.

5 Likes

Are these trucks aimed at high speeds And considered a waste if put on boards doing only 30-40 mph?

Definitely not just for speed. They perform excellent at any speed.

They are great for low speed cornering. The top guys in the T-Race global time trials all run 3 link trucks. That course is only 115m long with 3 hairpin corners.

2 Likes

Starting to learn more about what setups give me best traction on different surfaces.

The Stooge BRP wheels, hands down, provide the best grip on a bitumen/tarmac surface. I’ve managed to edge closer to 5th place on the T-Race global leaderboard on this setup. I’m able to fully accelerate out of a hairpin with a 16s setup pushing 100 motor amps per side. I’ve now got to a point where I think i need to gear to a higher ratio for even more torque as there is so much grip.

@MoeStooge warned me about the BRP wheels possibly not performing as well on concrete indoor race tracks. I honestly thought they’d be fine at the local indoor track because the surface seems to have been roughed up by some sort of machine. However, due to debris and dust that accumulates there is not the same level of traction on the concrete indoor track.

I experimented with some 6 inch sunmate tyres last track night to try gain more grip on that surface. The last time i was there i found my 8 inch roadies on my mountain board performed phenomenally on that surface, but i cant get more than 6 inch tyres on my race board because of wheel bite. The 6 inch sunmates definitely provided more grip on that particular surface compared to BRP wheels and worked very nicely with the 3 link trucks. They still weren’t as good as the stretched 8 inch roadies i ran last session.

Unfortunately the 6 inch Sunmate tyres didnt fair so well on their durability :sweat_smile: This was a total of 21km on the track.

My mate ran some very impressive times on his 18s offroad build. He managed to stretch 7inch Evolve Hadean tyres on 75mm etox rims. He had a tonne of grip so I’m really wanting to come up with a solution to run some stretched pneumatics on my board. Might have to cut the deck :grimacing:

So as far as 6inch tyres go, there’s not many options. Especially if I want to stretch them. The other option I have considered is to run stretched 7inch pneumatics on the rear (as the 3 links are set with less steer on rear) and 6 inch on the front with a riser to keep it level. Not sure yet.

Lastly the 3 link trucks are so nice to ride. I wasn’t sure how they’d handle going to narrow 6 inch tyres but they still felt amazing. They are by far my favorite trucks.

*Edit: i forgot to mention that I switched out to a proper front binding. This was due to me trialing it on my previous race board and I loved the extra control it provided. The Tomi boi racheting hook i had on was good, but not the same level of control. The front binding really aided my toe side turns. Partly because my flexibility in my right ankle is terrible from a previous injury.

10 Likes

I’m only just learning about these since I joined the forum and they’re interesting that’s for sure. Is stooge the only people that sell them? And are they available in wide or narrow or one size only?

The track width is fairly adjustable. They come with spacers so you can run them quite narrow or wide. But yes, there are different width 3 links. Pretty sure they have a very narrow version designed specifically for downhill boards too.

Ran with 7 inch stretched Evolve tyres on rear and 6 inch sunmates on front at last nights ERL event. I changed gearing to the 78 tooth SRB gear from 67 as went up in wheel size. I provided ever so slighlty more torque.

I think it helped a tad as did my fastest lap time to date in qualifying. Lap times weren’t recorded in the race this time.

I did slide the rear out very easily on my third race accelerating too hard out of a hairpin so grip is still not awesome haha. There was quite a bit of rubber debris on the track last night from the karts so next time will go around with a blower beforehand.

I much prefer the feel of the ride with the SRB tyres on. I cant wait for a race on bitumen so i can use the SRB wheels!! I can accelerate much harder out of hairpins in these conditions and love it!

7 Likes

Would you get wheelbite with the 7" up front if you spaced your wheels to the end of the axel? Looks like you have a good bit of space to go

2 Likes

Probably not but then i lose steer. Moe recommended a narrower front track width for best steer on short track but i guess it’s worth experimenting with.

It’s an easy thing to try so next club night I’ll give it a go :+1:. Or get some trampa 6.5inch tyres and streych them on 60mm hubs to bring them closer to 6 inch.

4 Likes

Little update. I’ve tried a few different tyres since last update. The 165mm Trampa Urban tyres…

And the 165mm Meepo Cyclones…

The Cyclones were the grippiest tyre on the indoor concrete track to date. I really liked how they performed and managed to win 3 out of 3 races in Round 2 of ERL. My mate on an 18s DIY build with full bindings and stretched 75mm Evolve Hadean tyres is getting quick and we had some awesome battles. Need to get some more DIY entries to spice things up a bit!

I’ve also hacked up my deck a bit to eliminate wheel bite…

I thought it would help me improve my T- Race times and with the higher gear ratio I’m running but still can’t get under 14.5secs which is my goal.

Lastly I’ve bung a few computer heatsinks on the esc case that is exposed to outside air. It has further assisted with cooling but I can still reach thermal throttling after 10mins of T Racing :sweat_smile:.

I really want to move up the T-Race global leaderboard so will go back to BRPs for another crack at that soon.

Then the third and final round of ERL Winter tri-series in about a month. Hoping to get away with top spot :crossed_fingers:.

16 Likes