My torque is non-existent

Torque for a single drive is surprisingly good! Brakes not so much. OP had a single drive before. Massive change in torque just changing the motor. I think the suggestions are good! @ZachTetra will set him right I reckon…

3 Likes

What motor is what? 6uH sounds insanly low.

ZachTetra helped me out immensely. Great guy and thankful for his help!

6 Likes

What was the solution? This could help future builders

1 Like

We are not sure yet, the VESC Tool is definitely running correctly and the motor has no glaring issues, it’s happened again so I suspect something with the battery or ESC but that doesn’t make too much sense, getting a bluetooth module to watch the board stats as it happens to see if that helps

7 Likes

Hot tip:
Crappy temp sensor wire going to motor could cause thermal throttle issues. Have y’all tried unplugging the motor sensors and running detection without? Might solve the issue. If’n it does, gently remove temp wire off the connector going to the esc, re-run sensored, and enjoy!
Might not be the problem, but worth a try. :nerd_face:

1 Like

It’s sensorless

2 Likes

Oh. Balls. Well when it comes to melon scratchers, this ones a real honeydoodle.

3 Likes

Getting a Bluetooth so we can watch it flail on the inside, maybe it will give us some ideas

2 Likes

Is it after a certain amount of time or on the bench? Single v4.12 esc?

It has a sudden drop off in power on hills

TB 12s4p, single TB 4.12, single TB 6374

Hrmm. After 1min? After 10mins? Full pack? Issue only on hills? Check bullet connectors/Any loose?

2 Likes

Working on it, testing with the old motor too. Battery is at 70%, bullets seem okay

1 Like

That sounds like a vesc thermal issue to me, but it doesn’t make much sense that it’d only crop up when changing the motor.

4 Likes

@chatherton99 this is why I asked for full specs on the build.

You’re running 60 battery amps and 60 motor amps through a SINGLE 4.12 vesc with god knows what gearing, tire diameter and rider weight up an incline. I’m betting you changed those settings from before and didn’t realize it.
And may we ask? Why the motor change? And did you change anything else like the esc? Or were you literally running a TB battery and vesc with a flipsky motor before

The max rating on @torqueboards website is 50A continuous. And I must say that’s a joke considering in the photo anyways, they don’t even appear to be heatsinked.

My :yen: is all on vesc thermal limit. Soft cutoff is probably default 75 or 80

Turn your battery max to 25 and test. I’m betting the motor swapping is coincidental or the old motor simply doesn’t have a temp sensor.

Your brakes will get better at high speed if you turn up batt min. Don’t go too high as that can temporarily increase voltage which has a history of being bad for 4 series vescs

4 Likes

The new motor is sensorless.

Doesn’t really matter though, a single 4.12 is gonna overheat WAY before a 6374 motor will.

in a hurricane, maybe.

4 Likes

Haha it’ll cool itself off and drop the thermal limit when it melts through the enclosure and gets some air

OP, go for a ride on 25A batt max and report back. It’s gonna feel slower. But I think it’ll get you up the hill.

I’m still worried about vesc temps with 25 if they don’t have a heatsink and on single drive.

Do not change the thermal throttle settings unless you’re going to lower them. They’re the only reason you still have a working vesc right now

1 Like

Have you checked the FET temperatures? 4.12 hardware gets to thermal throttling in a manner that sounds just like what you’ve described

Change battery max to 20A for troubleshooting and note new behaviour. You can probably then turn it up to 25A or 30A. 60A is absolutely not going to work.

4 Likes

That’s why we are getting the Bluetooth

2 Likes

A few éons ago when I used a single 4.12 on a 6355 the symptoms were exactly what you say

If you powered it in on the bottom of a hill you could climb, but any ride prior to that would make it overheat and loose almost all power in seconds, let’s say 10% hill could be climbed if it was shorted than 50 meters