My first esk8 tragedy

I started the turn into a parking lot a couple hours ago. Some yahoo was walking up to the cross, stopped, looked right at me, and then walked right out in front of me. I hit the brake hard and was lucky to run it out. My Evolve Bamboo GTX wasn’t as lucky. I turned around immediately and ran out holding up my hands and shouting at the car turning in from the other direction to stop. As far as I can tell all that happened is the base plate of the rear truck broke in half. The guy in the car stopped and apologized profusely but it wasn’t his fault. The yahoo just kept on walking. I should have run him over.

19 Likes

Glad you’re ok though. Boards can be replaced

11 Likes

Yep. I treat everyone and anything like land mines. So many people don’t understand we’re electric and aren’t pushing as fast as we can stop. Dangerous esk8 world out there. It’s fucking fun though! Glad you didn’t get hurt dude.

12 Likes

Glad your ok. I get yelled at all the time by ignorant people for riding a skateboard on the street . ( they’re street legal here )

2 Likes

Don’t mean to sound like an ass but it’s a shame that person didn’t get hurt.(not that you would’ve hit him as hard as a car would’ve but… ) There was definitely a decision made there and this time it cause the destruction of your board. Glad you’re ok! I’ve had cars slam on their brakes while I was following them causing me to fly into them, I can defiantly tell it was not worth getting that parking spot on my end…

7 Likes

People still have a mental picture of someone on a board going slow enough to walk or drive infront of unfortunately. Only time and more esk8/ev’s on the road will make people think twice. Hopefully he wasn’t just being a dick.

6 Likes

Thanks for the understanding words. I’m too old to get this pissed off but we work 9/80 and tomorrow is my off Friday. I had a long ride planned. My build isn’t there yet and all I have left is my Exway, which isn’t going to carry me on any long rides.

6 Likes

If I had a dollar for every time I saw a pedestrian or motorist look directly at me, see me, then procede to go directly into my path, requiring emergency evasive manueveres, then I’d be like a thousandaire or something :grin:

Seriously – and I am serious – I treat everybody like they’re trying to kill me. Everybody. When you find the one that is, you’ll have already assumed that and already planned an escape…

11 Likes

I live in campus which is filled with unobservant assholes, the best thing to do is add lots of metal parts and use rock hard wheels on brick, it makes so much noise it sounds like a diesel engine and it make people run, I get a 10’ radius at all times

7 Likes

Everytime you cross someone:
*Always assume they didn’t see you
*Stop accelerating and prepare brakes
*Be ready for unexpected movements.

These are very simple rules…very difficult to follow tho. I must admit I am up for the fun so my shields are down often.

7 Likes

I have almost the exact story: dude looked at me, and decided to just run across, looking at the ground. My board flew into a pole a few meters forward; luckily only a bit of visual damage. Glad your ok.

its often people stepping into the road while looking the opposite direction to traffic, happens all the time in central london. these people are darwin award candidates, with more awards due to be handed out as electric cars and other vehicles become more popular

6 Likes

When this happens I decide instantly if I I have the chance to take out the cars windscreen - I have a rule if I’m on you bonnet due to your actions then your loosing that windscreen.

I treat all cars like they are playing Death Race, esk8ers would score real high lol

2 Likes

same here.

I too, learned this lesson the hard way.

10 Likes

Why didn’t you brake? If you had driven a car the guy might have been seriously injured…

Here is what happened. As I was approaching. The gentleman was walking parallel to the white line. He had looked right at me and I misjudged his body language to think that he was going to attempt to quickly cross the street as I passed. Given it is a semi busy road and there was no crosswalk. Once I realized he wasn’t waiting for me to pass, which was last minute. I did brake and maneuvered around the individual. This process is what threw me from my board.
It turns out he just looked right through me while checking for cars. Lesson learned. We both made mistakes. But at the end of the day, he entered the road before making full sure it was safe.

2 Likes

And that’s what you always should expect and act accordingly :wink:

1 Like

I feel this almost everyday. I can’t imagine the nuclear deployment if I was ever president :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Me too, nuclear power is literally the only way to save humanity at this point. Fuck it, I’m going on a power rant again.

6 Likes