The Apex MUD MONSTER, Apex predator deck| vesc 6 mkIII | 1:7.5 two stage chain drive

What is “a two stage gear box”?

A motor runs a gear box and the output of that gear box runs another one.

1 Like

You’re not happy with those? :

I have them and get better grip than with Trampa 9’’ mud-pluggers.
They don’t show signs of abnormal wearing til now.

1 Like

9.3 kg one wheel!? :dizzy_face:

nah mate i believe that is actually a stack of 4 rims and tyres

They are ok, don’t get me wrong. A bit wobbly on higher speeds though. Never managed to get them balanced out properly, that’s why I liked the 9“ more.

The thing with the 11“ is that they are firstly made for gokarts and with it also made to go fast (mine are rated to max 150km/h :joy:).
They do not need tubes, so getting a flat tire is something you will never need to worry about.
And finally and for me as well important, the profile is so deep that I can install proper spikes/studs in the winter time.

It’s 9,3kg for 4 tires with hubs. Definitely not the lightest setup.

Disclaimer: everything said about the 11“ tires is still only based on having them at home side by side with other wheels. I didn’t have the opportunity to ride them yet.

2 Likes

I have trouble with one wheel too. It’s less worse since I changed springs to barrels.

Yet I’m not sure the tyre is culprit. Trampa MEGASTAR rims are very CND’d but it’s T6 ALUMINIUM SPOKES are all the contrary.

Bearing is almost never centred considering M4 bolt holes. Trampa kindly sent another set as replacement but this recurrent problem is not fixed at all… It’s not a big deal with 8’ tyres but it’s an issue with these 10’ ones.

3 Likes

I used 3Ds 9“ hubs on the 10“ so no issue with that spoke.
But one of my guesses as well was that the bearings are not seated right in the rim. They are very „pressfit“ and I didn’t have had the right tools to press the bearings in. If a bearing wasn’t seated perfectly it could cause the wobbles for sure.

2 Likes

Some of the spokes were warped. Bearing not being seated properly will cause woble and the m4 screws need to be screwed in a star pattern for them to spin as true as possible

2 Likes

so a bunch of stuff has changed with the board since the last update

the main parts are the vescs are now mounted on a brace on the truck and the axles in the trucks are one large hardened steel bar, and the fact that one side of the drive is broken again

7 Likes

Big thanks to @Andy87 for helping to pic out hubs for my new tyres.

11" tyres are in a complete league of there own. Round my area there is a bunch of boggy mud which these things can completely tank through. I have had to run the motors in sensorless mode as the vescs no long detect them, will probably test them to see if the hall sensors have died or the pcb they are on. I will definitely be upgrading to 4wd using 2 80100 motors and a fixed axle. And now mud guards are a must as you look like swampthing after riding.

18 Likes

give HFI a whirl maybe?

1 Like

Where did you get the tyres and hubs?

i honestly have no idea how to set up HFI, it seems to be doing fine with what ever the vesc has set it up to do

1 Like

i had a mate of mine turn some adapters on his lathe

4 Likes

little update on the motor sensors, the reason the vesc can’t detect them is that some of them are dead.
lucky i have some spares laying around so should be an easy swap

More updates. Broke a solid steel base plate, managed to hit 108wh/m

Fixed the broken base plate
And one big bonus to the width of these trucks is the ability to add lights

9 Likes

Did the breakage result in a crash or anything crazy?

2 Likes

May i also ask what angle these baseplate were welded? They dont seem exactly straight but that could also be the breaking ofcourse :rofl:

Im gonna go your way and weld my own mtb trucks like yours, very inspired!

sadly not, it was just some gnarly terrain and the fact i still do jumps with it

2 Likes