Motor Innovations and the Future of Esk8

I’d like to start this thread to share ideas, wishes, concepts regarding future potential for our eskate motors and related technology (vesc firmware implementation, etc).

To start:

1. Field weakening- although it might not make much difference, it would be a cool feature to have if reliable and I’m glad to see it being worked on (at least for larger motors) in the VESC firmware github.

2. Simple idea here… Thick cans protect Direct Drives so effectively from rocks and debris, why do we have such thin motor cans elsewhere? One wrong little bang and magnets shatter in every other motor design :pensive:

3. Last one for now, SynRM in runners? No power losses from heat? This is some new and effective tech for big and commercial motors… Besides manufacturing difficulties and cost, is there any reason the concept couldn’t be applied to smaller 6380/63100 form factors?

https://new.abb.com/motors-generators/iec-low-voltage-motors/process-performance-motors/synchronous-reluctance-motors

What are some other ideas you guys have, things you would love to see done/tested… Simple changes, or big theoretical ideas… What are some things you want to see for the future of our (relatively speaking) little powerhouses?

2 Likes

Is that a helical motor? Can we get herringbone motors?

4 Likes

Herringbone motors? Pics?

That reminds me too, curved magnets… :man_shrugging:

You need a motor that actually has electrical steel on the rotor for this to even be possible, otherwise you’re just pissing away current and computational time for no reason.
If you do have a motor with such electrical steel, you need an entirely different position observer implementation for this to have ANY chance of working. If not, then you’ll get instability and shudders wheel lockup at top speed.

The motors we use are too small to have any meaningful amount of electrical steel in the rotor. This is what enables field boosting and field weakening in the first place.
The motors we use are considered a form of SPMSM.

The motor efficiency hierarchy is as follows: Induction motor < synchronous reluctance motor < non-salient PMSM < salient pole PMSM.

But just because one type of motor is “more efficient” than another type, doesn’t mean it’s automatically better in 100% of use cases. Induction motors are still widely used because they are way more rugged and can actually achieve higher torque density than many synchronous motors.

3 Likes

That SynRM stuff seems so complicated :sweat_smile:

All I want is a 2WD setup that can kick ass. Kind of a @MoeStooge thing but VESC-based
Y-terminated inrunners should have low enough KV for good torque, with ~6:1 gearing maybe? :eyes:
Would that be considerably better than 12s 6380 outrunner garbage?

3 Likes

Bump