Motor ground clearance

Maybe on my next build😉. I want to keep this board as light as possible because i will use it as a daily commuter. It wont be facing bad roads.

2 Likes

Ok if so, ill change them .

1 Like

Many members have had to deal with cutting the heads off stainless hardware in order to remove their motor. It’s a PITA. Just giving you fair warning

2 Likes

This.

Please do. Try not to use anything other than 12.9 in any application that requires you to torque the screw down a fair bit (e.g. motor mount screws & motor screws…).

3 Likes

So. I changed my mind. I will design my custom mount and 3d print it. If everything fits as it should i will fabricate it from aluminum( dont know how to yet, probably with file saw and a drill :thinking:). Will post my design here so you can take a look and tell me if its ok.

1 Like

Where are you located?

Why reinvent the wheel motor mount? Current ones have economies of scale working for them to keep the price low.

3 Likes

If price isn’t an object, designing and fabricating a motor mount is an excellent learning opportunity (:

7 Likes

Why not? I like this attitude. Just suggest a backup mount plan if it ends up taking too long.

2 Likes

Slovenia

1 Like

I have a whole winter infront of me so im realy not in a hurry.

4 Likes

I made my own motor mounts on my first diy board. It was a good learning experience. I was so proud of what I made. Now I just buy parts and put this together. Like you all I have was a drill and a few hand filers. Go build the mounts and if it failed and you get hurt it’s your own fault

2 Likes

Update: i found a good looking mount on thingiverse and printed it. Everything fits perfectly. What do you all think about it? Mount:https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3401743/comments
I will add some pics tomorrow when i have time.

1 Like

@b264 you got a link to the hardware used on the enertion mounts? Figured save him the question lol.

Those mounts are great. What filament and setting you using to print?

2 Likes

Dickyho makes decent and very affordable mounts.

So does boardnamics. https://boardnamics.com/product/caliber-ii-63mm-motor-mount/

1 Like

I printed it just for test, the mount will be made from aluminium.

1 Like

Just remember to use the right grade too (:

2 Likes

LoL we have a whole thread just for those bolts.

I have some bolts that work better than the orginal if someone is in dire need.

2 Likes

Which grade do you think will do well?

T6 6061 or T6 6082 aluminium.
Since you are from Slovenia i think finding 6082 will be easier for you.

1 Like