Motor ground clearance

Hello, i have a problem. Because i have a hobbyking motor mount i cannot adjust the angle and the ground clearance. Right now it is aproximatly 3.5 cm between motor and ground and 3 cm between motor and board. Is that ok? If not, do you have any suggestions on how could i fix this without buying or making a new mount. Maybe i could somehow modify the curent mount??. Thank you.

1 Like

Those mounts are notoriously bad. even if you get it to be a little bit higher for better ground clearance it’s very likely the vibrations of riding are going to loosen it causing your motor to hit the ground and possibly breaking the magnets

1 Like

What Skunk said for sure. What size wheels are you running there? (Also, bumped your account. Welcome!)

1 Like

These are 90mm flywheel clones. The mount actualy feels quite sturdy, i tightened it with some better screws and used loctite so i dont think its going to come loose.

The clearance looks fine. I’ve got no experience with hobby king mounts, but don’t underestimate the vibrations your motor mount experiences, especially when it’s not a tight fit to begin with.

Piece of advice - change the 4 motor screws to 12.9 hex screws. You don’t want to them strip.

2 Likes

Since they’re a “one size fits all” type of mount, I never felt secure with them. I’ve been running the Dickyho mounts (ebay) with much better luck.

1 Like

There’s usually always a lot of play with these mounts, which makes them come loose over time…

1 Like

But I would suggest bigger wheels and another riser to create more breathing room.

Always.

5 Likes

I will leave the mount as it is then. When i finish the board i will go to some bad roads to stress test the mount. I think the screws are ok. They are inner hex. Like those:

Stainless will strip. Alloy 12.9 or bust

2 Likes

Maybe on my next build😉. I want to keep this board as light as possible because i will use it as a daily commuter. It wont be facing bad roads.

2 Likes

Ok if so, ill change them .

1 Like

Many members have had to deal with cutting the heads off stainless hardware in order to remove their motor. It’s a PITA. Just giving you fair warning

2 Likes

This.

Please do. Try not to use anything other than 12.9 in any application that requires you to torque the screw down a fair bit (e.g. motor mount screws & motor screws…).

3 Likes

So. I changed my mind. I will design my custom mount and 3d print it. If everything fits as it should i will fabricate it from aluminum( dont know how to yet, probably with file saw and a drill :thinking:). Will post my design here so you can take a look and tell me if its ok.

1 Like

Where are you located?

Why reinvent the wheel motor mount? Current ones have economies of scale working for them to keep the price low.

3 Likes

If price isn’t an object, designing and fabricating a motor mount is an excellent learning opportunity (:

7 Likes