Most common esk8 mistakes?

I’m thinking mistakes made while riding, but throw in other safety related problems you see. I came across this article recently and thought we should have something like this for esk8, sourced from the community. One thing I’ve seen successful communities get right is their willingness to self-regulate and point out dangerous behavior.

here’s a few I’ve noticed on group rides:

• riders doing hard carving in the middle of a packed group ride
  • weaving in between other riders and passing too close
  • not giving pedestrians the right of way
  • I’ve seen eBikers eat shit going way too fast into a turn, I donno practice turning? keep your ego in check?

What are your thoughts?

6 Likes

I think the same mistake as bike riders make by thinking that car drivers will be concerned about your safety. Regardless of road laws I think we have to be aware that when riding your safety is your own priority none of the other road users will behave in a manner that makes you safe.

8 Likes

I think with experience we become complacent to the dangers of the road and of drivers ability/willingness to avoid us should the situation go tits up.

3 Likes

Get on a treadmill and crank that bitch. Realize you can kind of hang running at 12 mph for about 10-20 sec. Ride appropriately when travelling faster than 12 mph. Most esk8 crashes are not ones you can run out.

14 Likes

This is pretty obvious but don’t go flying when exploring new routs, at least in street builds. I’ve almost lost my teeths when going a different route to uni than normal and being late. Unknown road cracks are killer in Seville XD

8 Likes

Being cheap and not doing research is and will always be my biggest mistake.

13 Likes

This statement literally defines my life

Edit: Quote

3 Likes

our roads are so shitty in LA. I took my friend along on my normal route the other day and I told him at the start “keep an eye on where I’m pointing because I’m going to point out the really nasty bumps that almost made me eat it”

8 Likes

This is actually the only thing I don’t like about esk8, is that you’re so vulnerable to everything, to the cars, not perfect roads, small rocks, distracted people… We have to be with our reflexes on point

5 Likes

Don’t forget financially and emotionally vulnerable.
But at this point, I’m just numb to the pain :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

that’s because we still got no real hoverboard yet, wait until that happens then nothing matters

5 Likes

Carry a fluo spray paint can and mark all the dangerous spots on your route next time.

6 Likes

This is actually a pretty good idea, at least in my town no one would give a shit about painted streets

3 Likes

I rode a dualtron scooter before I got into esk8. I could definitely go faster and small rock / bumps were no issue on the scoot. But what attracted me to esk8 is the fact that there is so much more skill involved. The scoot is just a practical form of transportation, but the esk8 is sort of a lifestyle and commitment to learning.

5 Likes

I think @b264 did that and the city workers thought they marked it themselves and fixed the road where he marked them.

14 Likes

LMAO wow and here I was thinking, hm I feel like you could get in trouble for that

3 Likes

Spending more on a build than you wanted to

6 Likes

@b264 attacked, confused the enemy and won the battle against shitty roads

4 Likes

Just wear a fluo yellow vest and a construction site helmet people might think you work for the city :joy:

5 Likes

As @Jujo said

1 Like