Mods to Esk8 Boards in order to Traverse snow, mud, sand. Tire chains studded and stuff thread.

Dude your poor motors :astonished:

4 Likes

I think it’s just a case if finding the right stand offs and bolts, my problem is I can’t ride the trail to the beach with them attached - not even wide enough for the 1 set in places.

Doubles on anything but flat surface has to be trouble.

its the chains I feel sorry for the most, 9 is not so bad but using 8 I kept getting so much sand in there you could hear it :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, I was told that the magnets in the motors attracts the iron in the sand

2 Likes

oh dear that worries me a little, I have flipsky battle hardened they seem pretty well sealed compared to some but sounds like sand is going to get in there regardless

I tried designing a cover for flipsky motors that would completely seal them but lost interest.

They were for use in the winter to stop road salt from destroying the bearings, so overheating wasnt a major concern

Test 0 no mod only near no tire pressure.

The tires slipped on the hub.

1 Like

i think when your dealing with snow that depth you need to starting thinking about adding this :wink:

I hope I get some snow this year to make it worth trying lol

2 Likes

this is an issue that plagues any low pressure riding, got a couple ideas best one would be beadlock rims. i would sketch a design up but can’t use CAD to save my life, @Bavioze could probably do it :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Back in the day when i used the relatively open TB motors i printed a 1 layer tpu shell/sheith to stop debris and water from getting inside. They have a nice tight fit and don’t come loose while riding. Temps also weren’t really affected.

4 Likes

Don’t hate me but I’m about to throw chains on an old 12" chain driven scooter and make a snow scooter once I figure out the front fork situation.

Anyone got any old or broken skis to donate?

1 Like

I wanted to make it so it attaches at the base of the motor, so the can freely spins inside the cover.

I wanted this gap covered also

1 Like

easy fix, just make it longer. Mine did already go over the edge, but not fully because of the glue i put on where the wires are.

i’ve also tried this with not so good results (that’s on me) it was loud and took away ground clearance (this was for a urethane board)

1 Like

Yeah, I may revisit the idea in the future

1 Like

I decided to check out the beach when it was bellow zero - this turned out to be the best idea ever!

down the same route had to use full breaks all the way down it was like concrete, every footprint was like a pothole

dunes were solid

took a little time to trust I the surface, I did fall thru couple times testing areas … frozen sand is surprisingly grippy

was doing little jumps off sand I never dreamt of riding - one point it felt more like VR than reality

I did land on arse once I was really glad to have my hard knees lol

even managed to get most of the way up the dune on the way out

my best ride EVER! :joy:

14 Likes

Frozen dunes are great, I used to ride them a lot when I lived in Alberta (on a quad though)

2 Likes

close enough

5 Likes

“…this is the kind of motor you use when you want to die from your own invention

Love that. :joy:
Thanks for posting!

6 Likes

9 Likes

Good time to be experimenting

2 Likes

11 Likes