Last night we took the board out and it’s been rough AF…
Tried running the setup ESCs and I think the CAN is toast on the second controller, it was missing the port so I soldered the cable directly and neither detects CAN connection. I will check later to make sure it’s not shorted under the PCB. The motor detection is also wonky on that controller, it didn’t find the sensors but I’m not concerned about it…probably just loose somewhere.
I didn’t get a change to test the prototype rolling antispark but I’ll get to it eventually, just running a fused loopkey until then.
The Bluetooth module also isn’t playing nice yet, it doesn’t show up as a device through the Xmatic app, but since rthr VX1 is using the one UART port it doesn’t matter until the second ES is connected. I have a second VX1 harness so we might use split UART control and no Bluetooth, still deciding.
We ran it with just the one motor and controller and after some speed wobbling it seems to run really smoothly. The turning seems really bad though, it’s running a 54 deg cone/cone and 48 deg barrel/barrel at 91a with a 22" wheelbase (screw to screw distance). It can’t turn at all and still has wobbles above 20 mph, any suggestions? I’ve run a nickel board faster with worse parts and better handling…help?
There was an incident with a loose mount but that’s my bad…may have forgotten the grub screws. Will replace with machine screws tapped into the hangar once we like the positioning.
The range seems a little weak on it, it was reading 36.7V across the temrinals and is supposedly a 4.1Ah battery (sticker says 3.9Ah but the case says 4.1Ah)…so with a single motor urethane drive it should be 5 miles before the ESC cuts out (34v start and 30v end), but it went significantly less than 3 miles befefore it cut out. Maybe the capacity is way lower than expected (it’s a used battery)? Maybe it does like 2 degree C weather? Might be getting a Meepo 10s2p for it instead…fingers crossed.
She absolutely loves the deck and the height, but not the weight distribution…the center of mass is just in front of the wheel but being the motor so it’s a bit unwieldy, the tail keeps getting smacked on the ground when picking up/putting down. Probably going to mount everything underneath, at least he ESCs and electronics…the battery is super chunky so it doesn’t fit under even with the massive risers.
After the board died and mine nearly went dead, I was towing her back when we hit a pothole and got tossed…I landed on my feet but she wiped out, good thing it was super low speed and she had a helmet.
Overall a rough start but it’s getting there, should be a good board soon enough!
This will be put slightly on hold for a bit, she’s going to be away for part of the winter and it wouldn’t be any fun if I finished it without her. I’ll try to fix the ESC while she’s away though, it’s just a lot of poking and prodding.
P.S. get you a girl who can solder 10awg to an XT90 as her first time soldering…she did a pretty good job of it and I’m hella proud of her, way better than my first attempt and I’ve been soldering for a long time