Not Matrix II related - FW4 bug causes wobbles

The skate I have 4.1 on is a single drive and I also experience this sometimes but it doesn’t wobble me out.

Everything else is on Ackmaniac 3.103 or Ackmaniac 2.54, which do not have this issue.

1 Like

Well damn. This is confirmation enough for me that no one should use this fw.

3 Likes

Wanted to setup my haero on the weekend with 4.1. definitely will do 3.62 better than.
Thx @rich for investing!
Hope things get better after FW downgrade :+1:

4 Likes

@rich great job getting some video and logs. If only all bug reports had some evidence like this.

4 Likes

It is so intermittent that it must be firmware related.
Crazy stuff, good thing OpenRoad firmware is on its way :grin:

3 Likes

@MBS I have to apologize for this thread :face_with_hand_over_mouth:
As you suspected the wobbles have nothing to do with the trucks.

It’s a FW4 bug caused during detection, here Frank suggests a different T value for detection:

Did detections again with T=1000uS and… the wobbles are gone :metal: :sunglasses:
I can’t believe it, 52km/h (32.3mph) without wobbles. That’s a bit fast :grin:

But sometimes it feels a bit strange when almost reaching top speed. It affects both motors at the same time so it is not really dangerous.

After looking at at the logs I can see what the “strange feeling” was. Sometimes motor and battery current drops exactly at the speed where the wobbles started before but I can keep accelerating. The current drops about 1.5 seconds before I stop accelerating at about 50km/h.

or another example

But it’s much greater to ride when you don’t have to face this wobbles :sweat_smile:

17 Likes

I did the detection with the T = 1000uS, but at 39 km/hr I have wobbles…always the same…a bit frustrating…Used the Vesc-tool for android…

3 Likes

glad the wobbles is solved.

are you just living with this?

2 Likes

Damn that sucks! Strange that it doesn’t work for you :cry:

Today was a disaster! I wanted to downgrade to FW3.62 to compare behaviour and logs but it didn’t work. I tried it for 2 hours again and again with Vesc-Tool 1.23 and 1.25 Original and free version. Single FW upload plus dual. The FW upload took always several minutes but afterwards it’s everytime FW4.0. That’s really frustrating, no idea what’s wrong here.

Then I decided to stick with FW4.0 for now because I wanted to ride. I had problems with the remote but after a while I could finally go for a ride. It was fun riding single trails, then suddenly 2 fucking men (I mean they fucked) in the way :flushed:. Now I know why it’s called smart reverse. I could leave the scene and vanish in reverse without hassle, it felt very smart :joy:

The shifted mount is not as askew as in the pic but I should fix it soon. My plan was to buy a black truck but they are out of stock since months.

But I have still issues with the kingpins. Despite using 2 nuts the kingpins get loose and the hanger start dancing. You feel it because it’s getting instable with rattling hangers. Actually I have to tighten them about 3 times each ride, that’s annoying. I’ll try different nuts and thread locker and see if that helps…

6 Likes

they are back in stock.

from customer service:

The ETA for the Metal Matrix II Trucks has been delayed due to the virus containment proceedings currently taking place at our factory facility.

Actually, our OP staff just found a bunch of MM II trucks tucked away in the warehouse at the end of last week! They’re back live on the site now.

2 Likes

right i just ordered a pair of oil slicks as well. putting on IDEA motor mounts / belt drive, so not gear drive, but yours looked really askew, and that seems problematic to compensate for. concerning.

2 Likes

Wow. Very interesting. Great detective work (and video skills). Happy to hear it wasn’t the trucks in the end.

4 Likes

Yes…I just want to trust again my board…I use it to commute everywere…Also MBS trucks are not perfect (it does not matter if they are black), but my E-toxx mini work like a charm…I have to deal with fuckers my whole life, 3rd world country, so I understand you…better to get the fuck away and fast…ultimate solution, fight for your life with no mercy…Glad you are safe…

2 Likes

You should use 3.65, not 3.62. Also there is no need to use the older VESC Tool since the New 4.xx VESC Tool will adopt to the older FW and behave just as if you would use an older Tool.

Looks like your Bootloader is bricked, or the upload failed due to a timeout.
As a test I did a couple of upgardes and downgrades now, it always worked.
I used VESC Tool Desktop version and USB.
Worst case is a SWD Prog to load the 3.65.

FW3.65:

2 Likes

3.62 was the the last version I’ve used that’s why. I just wanted to do motor detection and compare.

I hope it’s the timeout because the FW upload took several minutes :pray:. Also with Vesc-Tool desktop version (1.23 and 1.25) and usb.

I never did something which could have bricked the bootloader :thinking:.

1 Like

Both of them don’t respond?
You could give it a shot via swd loader.
It’s super easy and might fix your problem.

1 Like

I tried the FW upload several times on both vesc6’s at once and once just with the master vesc standalone. I didn’t try the slave vesc standalone. I just wonder what could have caused the bricked bootloader if that’s the case. I have to research about swd loader, never thought I would need this knowledge :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I have seen at least half a dozen reports of issues updating firmware to/from 4.0+, had to reflash bootloader prior to 3 of my own ESCs taking the flash. This behavior was only present with this latest release, previous versions had updated on the same hardware without issue.

Probably worth noting, might be correlation.

6 Likes

Can you send me the CSV you posted via mail? Or better directly to Benjamin Vedder.
Wil send you a PM with email.

2 Likes

Newer versions have compression to speed up wireless FW updates. VESC-Tool is clever enough to figure out which FW is which. The only issue might be Ack FW, since VESC thinks its newer, due to versioning.
I tried to downgrade and update in between all sorts of FW versions and it all went smooth all the time. Tried it on a HW 4 and HW 6.