Making the most of my OneWheel

As some of you might know, I currently have a Onewheel v1. It is generally stock besides a C&R fender. I want to upgrade it a little. The current budget is 125-150 bucks. I am thinking maybe a OneTail?

What are your guys suggestions?

1 Like

If you’re still riding on a Vega, I’d recommend a D10a Hoosier slick. You’ll get a hair more response out of it.

I hate changing V1 tires though. That bead lip is the devil incarnate.

Barring that, new grip.

Barring that, new bearings if you haven’t already.

2 Likes

Grip, bearings, and tire for sure. Tail pad if you’re feeling extra but honestly it’s not the game changer people say it is

1 Like

Good to know! I was actually consider making my own DIY extended rear footpad due to it just being a flat price of wood. @TheBoardGarage and @ZachTetra I am a little nervous of changing the tire. If I did, I would definitely put on a treaded tire. I don’t think I will need new bearings because I only have 300~ miles on the board. What brand of grip tape would you recommend? Should I just use skateboard grip tape? Also, is there somewhere I could get someone to change my tire? A tire repair shop?

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

A treaded tire on a V1 sounds awful…you’d lose almost 20% of your range, and end up with an even more sluggish ride.

If you have trouble changing a tire, you should really get a shop to do it. The V1 hub is by far, the most difficult tire change.

As for grip, I’m not sure who still cuts them for V1 footpads. You’d likely have to get XR shaped grip and cut it to fit.

I personally still prefer The Float Life grip tape above anything else.

2 Likes

You can also just buy skateboard grip tape and trace the footpad onto it, if you’re gonna have to customize it might as well do it cheap

2 Likes

I am not to worried about range. Weirdly enough, my V1 gets 9-12 miles of range. It’s not to sluggish either. It’ll cruise at 16-18 mph and I have topped out at 30mph.

@TheBoardGarage I think I am just going to cut my own grip tape. Is there a tire between the slick and a full tread?

Thanks for the help!

Don’t get a treaded tire, even off road the slick is good. The treads make it stiff and it’s super noisy on pavement

5 Likes

@ZachTetra
Ok. I think I won’t get the treaded tire. It looks cool though. I probably will just lower the tire pressure to increase handling off road.

2 Likes

The Float Life Enduro tire.

And again…get help with the tire change. It’s very rough.

2 Likes

If you want better handling get float fins, without a doubt the biggest single improvement you can get for rough terrain, you can bolt fins to any fender if you’re careful when aligning it

1 Like

@TheBoardGarage @ZachTetra
Thanks for the help!

Here’s the plan, I am going to get the Hoosier slick. I am also going to cut my own grip tape. I will keep you guys updated.

1 Like

Best of luck.

Also… subscribing to my YouTube channel counts as an upgrade. :nerd_face:

7 Likes

@TheBoardGarage

Don’t worry, I am subscribed with the bell on. You were actually the reason I got into onewheel. I have been watching your videos for a long time. The minute I subbed, it made my board 5 mph faster! Haha lol :joy:

5 Likes

@TheBoardGarage
Keep up the great videos. You have inspired many to get into onewheel and have made the community a bigger and better place.

3 Likes

Aw thanks! Much appreciated. Godspeed on your upgrade journey.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your help. It is quite rare to see people with a channel such as yours still respond to and help their fan base and the community. Keep up the great work!

2 Likes

@TheBoardGarage

What makes the tire change on the v1 so hard? What are the risks if I tried it myself? Also, what tire sealent would you recommend?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to make sure I understand what I am getting into.

2 Likes

Change the title to “Making the most of my Onewheel”

You’ll get even more help.

2 Likes

@BillGordon
How do I do dat?

2 Likes