Maker-X Go-FOC DV4 (upgraded version) ----- Most Affordable Dual Drive ESC

Guys, you don’t get a new Ferrari for $50,000 for a reason. If you want the best, hitch up your shorts and head over to Trampa’s web site. $520 dollars later, you’ll have the current best option available.

But at the current entry level position, you have the Maker dual and the Flipsky 4.20 series. I’m running one of each vendor’s stuff in two of my boards, and no real complaints. But if I was buying today, I’d grab another Maker Dual and run it at its promised specs, not expect it to compete with a VESC 6.

6 Likes

Oh, sorry.

1 Like

Maybe I have bad piece.

1 Like

Mine are running fine, but I had real issues running them on vesc tool FW4 and detection was a bit suspect… (although HFI and FOC were fine when it worked)
I’m wondering how many of these blown ones were detecting on FW higher than FW3.4? :thinking:

4 Likes

Yeah it is quite strange although I think more investigation needs to be done. There’s always user error (no offense @Stefan8888, it’s not that I don’t trust you, I’m just considering all the possibilities). For example, it didn’t blow when plugging in but on use/detection. Now that definitely isn’t an indication that these boards have been tested nor does it give it a pass on factory error though but I’m curious on the exact setup and situation for this to happen. Hopefully it’s just a bad batch!

@Stefan, if you could provide more photos of vesc tool settings and wiring of your board prior to the blown dual? Of course don’t plug it in but I’m curious on the complete setup to figure out what went wrong.

Have you confirmed that your motors are fully functional and not shorting out the dual? Highly unlikely but it’s good to check anyways

@AngryTrucker, my dual last used FOC on firmware 3.65 but upon motor transplant, it failed to detect properly. I then upgraded up to 4.1 however FOC still failed to detect. I was able to get BLDC working properly in 4.1 and I suspect the same too for 3.65. I chalked FOC failures to the motors I was using.

1 Like

Yeah, that a good course of action. If he doesn’t have another controller to use, there’s this:

5 Likes

In the event it was the motor’s fault, I would check first with Brian’s method to mitigate the risk of blowing another controller

Also goes to say that I’m sorry that this happened to you @Stefan8888. Hopefully you can help provide some test data!

1 Like

My dual seems to be on the way and I will be installing that relatively soon after receiving, so we shall see how it all works out.

I bought this knowing that it is not near top of the line, and planning to run it on 8s, with only 35a battery current per vesc, 35 motor current. So I don’t expect to have any issues. One of the major draws for me here was that this will be in a 4wd hub build and that I had very small space, so this fit the bill, and at a more afforable price than two of the TB singles.

1 Like

Yes, I tested it and it looks they’re allright. Firstly I connected phase wires and hall sensors and then battery. Now I insert USB plug, fill details and started testing. First test - there were very big resistence (about 8000 units) on LEFT motor and right was absolutly without problems. So I decided to change phase wires and hall sensors (I changed sides). Second test - Now was working left motor, but RIGHT no. Shortly started blinking red diode and flame… I instantly disconnected battery

Have you tested these motors on any other setup?

1 Like

No, I don’t have another ESC.

1 Like

Hmm. Yeah do the hand test in the thread linked above. If one of your motors has an internal short, that could pop you esc.

2 Likes

Unfortunately I can do it only tomorrow (Now I don’t have laptop).

1 Like

That I did. I think both motors are allright.

2 Likes

But… Can you say me what you exactly want And where I can find it?

2 Likes

When you were programming your vesc, could you plug the vesc in and hit connect. Assuming this is still safe to do. Once you connect, could you then click the icon with an up arrow and M next to it? This will read the last configuration you had. Once you click that, could you go to motor settings/general on the left side? Under general, could you take a picture of the general tab, current tab, voltage tab, and rpm tab? Then go under motor settings/FOC on the left side. Once you’re in there, could you take pictures of the general tab and hall sensor tab?

Could you also provide pictures of how you wired your motors to the vesc? Ideally showing motor connecting to the vesc with up close shots of the vesc hall connection.

Everyone else, please point out things if I’m missing them :slight_smile:

Hi, please pm me, I will Solve the problem for you.

4 Likes

It seems that the quality inspection is not enough.
Sorry guys.
I am confident in the design of DV4, at least we promise not to use poor materials to make it. In terms of cost, it is higher than filpsky4.2, we used two 5c628MOS, and flipsky4.2 only used one. Therefore, it can provide more current. Due to the lower internal resistance, you will find that, even at high currents, DV4 will not have too much heat. In the design of the circuit board, we used a 4-layer board superposition method, which will have better resistance to electromagnetic interference.

For the problems you encounter, you can PM or Email me, I will make the most reasonable solution for you as soon as possible.

13 Likes

Question, I tried to get the dual to be in sync but only one motor spins. Other side is completely functional but does not respond to the master side after setting up input ppm

• Do I have to solder on a canbus cable or is there already an integrated one?

Hey @YUTW123, I don’t mean to be a dick on my first post (do i have to build up to being dickish? who knows)… but these are listed at $35 less on Taobao, through what looks like a reseller too:

Go-FOC @ $85

And i notice that your price has gone back up?

2 Likes