LY Evo 12s5p Build List + Questions. Help a noob out?

I’ve been planning a build for a few years now but keep chickening out on buying parts and committing. But I think now is the time and id like to get it done before summer is over. Any advice would be super helpful and if I’m forgetting anything please let me know!

LY Evo 40 (been my daily driver for a couple years now, all time favorite deck so i really want to slap a motor on in)
Focbox Unity
12s5p Battery and LY Evo SS enclosure from @eBoosted
Dual motor kit from TB
-15t 36t gearing
-97mm wheels
-218mm trucks
2x TB 6374 190kv Motors
TB Nano remote -OR- Hoyt Puck

Hopefully someone can steer me in the right direction with a couple things:

I’ve heard that some of the cheaper remotes have connection issues which is why I’m considering a Hoyt Puck. I definitely don’t want anything going wrong with a remote at 30mph, but maybe connection issues aren’t as prevalent as they seem?

Also Ive been looking everywhere for info on if I can get the motor mounts facing inward while still having clearance while turning using the TB mounts. I noticed a lot of y’all that have evo builds just use riser pads, but I’m wondering if this solves the issue entirely or if doing reverse mounts would be easier? Damn the evos beautiful and confusing angles!

Anything else I should consider or prepare for?

Cheers, y’all!

1 Like

Just make sure the battery fits in the enclosure. That enclosure is for 12s4p and 12s5p but depending on how the pack is made and what BMS you use, it might be a little tight.
You’re using a Unity so with some careful cable management so it should be fine.

I also recommend against the Nano. Some people use VX1 but the Hoyt Pick seems to be a favorite.

And I would be careful with 97mm wheels on this board. It’s dropped a good amount and with 107s and risers, it’s pretty low

8 Likes

What @Jujo says
Great advise brother :+1:t3:

5 Likes

Awesome, thanks for the help! I guess I’ll fork over the extra $60 for the 110mm wheels from TB

3 Likes

Don’t forget the hoyt puck

Midnight black is awesome and almost $8 cheaper It works just as expected :+1:t3:

2 Likes

I might have a set of slightly used Abec 107 superflys you can have for free if youre interested

4 Likes

Do you already have a unity? If not it might be a little difficult to come by. There are few and far between. Besides that, good build but defiantly go with 110s

4 Likes

Wow you’re too kind, that would be amazing! No worries if you cant, but the gesture is really appreciated @Jujo :pray:

2 Likes

Yep I was lucky enough to pick one up when they first dropped. Damn thing has been sitting in my drawer tempting me to follow through with this whole thing for over a year lol

2 Likes

Well my lord get that thing in a board dude, no time to wait around :stuck_out_tongue: get riding

3 Likes

The Evo Falcon 40" SS enclosure can hold a 12S5p but you need to use a small charge only BMS, place it on the nose of the enclosure, use a small ESC with internal antispark switch such as the Unity and use this array of P-Groups, otherwise it won’t fit:

A 12S4P made with 21700 Samsung 40T or Molicel P42A will have much more range and power

8 Likes

What’s the outside dimensions of that pack, alan? just the cells LxWxH… thanks

BTW beautiful pack! well done

2 Likes

I’m sorry I don’t have the pack with me anymore :sleepy:, but it fits the Evo enclosure perfectly

3 Likes

I’m planning on buying your battery pack actually, you use a small charge only BMS correct? do you think it’ll fit in your ss enclosure with a unity pretty comfortably? Id like to get the 12s4p 21700 40T, but would rather save a little bit of money and go with your 12s5p since its still got really good range and power, just hoping space will allow for it

3 Likes

Yes, it will fit a 18650 12S5P but, as I said, in the array I sent you and taking all afformentioned considerations, otherwise it won’t.

1 Like

12s4p 40t=691wh 140a max discharge cap
12s5p 30q= 648wh 75a max discharge cap

Go with 40t. Slightly better range and higher discharge capacity :ok_hand:t3:

5 Likes

That’s really helpful info. Just ordered the 12s4p 40t. @eBoosted your work is sick, super excited! :grin:

4 Likes

Well. That was easy lol.
Naw brother. You’ll be golden with that pack
You’ll love it

4 Likes

Give this man commission!

8 Likes

Thanks guys! All help is welcome during this crisis!

3 Likes