Looking for tips on making a specific battery

Mostly looking for any tips that anyone can give as I embark on this project. I still plan to read a lot more threads and guides and do alot more research before I start but I wanted nail down some specifics of the plan before hand.
So I’m slowly doing some research to make a replacement battery for my Backfire G2s in order to replace one that’s getting old, as well as solve a few issues I’ve had with the old one.
Namely I want to make a battery that:
-Can work in colder temperatures
-Be brought on a plane
-Have a longer lifespan so that I don’t have to replace it as often.

For these reasons I’m planning to use LiFePo4 battery cells making 2 packs that are under 160wh’s (under airplane restriction limits) that I can then hook up in series when riding and take a part to bring on a plane. I expect the packs will end up being 12s to get up to a voltage of 36v (depending on the cell obviously).
Mostly looking for any tips for:
-Cells to use.
-BMS to use and should I have one main BMS or one for each pack set up some how in Parallel.

1 Like

A123 26650 cells are pretty great. I got a ton of them from battery hookup I’m planning on making esk8 packs with them, if I had my spot welder running I would offer to make one for you.

Oh I realize 26650 cells might be too thiccc

Queenbattery also has some cheaper lifepo4 cells.

1 Like

I’ve only ever heard good things about the A123s. @b264 is the lifepo queen around these parts.

2 Likes

My 3 main rides are all LiFePO4

Those are good batteries really.

Just range per weight is low but otherwise they excel in every category.

3 Likes

They pretty much dont need a bms right?

I always use a BMS

1 Like

What Cells do you use?

This preassembled unit here, the 5.5Ah LiFePO4 one.

I’ve abused the crap out of these things. It’s a prismatic cell.

1 Like

That’s an odd form factor for sure!
Have you considered using Headway’s or something like new energy alu-prism cells?

Like these

I’ve considered it, yes.

The price and performance on these is pretty good though. I limit to 29A / -20A and they seem to never wear out or get weak

1 Like

LIFEPO4 FTW!

What enclosure do you pack these in though?

1 Like

I have four skates running this enclosure, three have that LiFePO4 battery and one has a custom 10S5P li-ion battery

1 Like

Aaah, it’s that enclosure. I’ve only seen pics of it with the liion cells. Now it all makes sense.

1 Like

Damn that would be perfect if they had a LiFePo4 version of the 4.4 ah battery :-/

If you can’t find exactly what you need, find someone to weld P-packs to your specification, and make the rest of the battery yourself.

1 Like