Looking for critiques and help with my first E-Skate Build

@Rossy if you’re interested I’ve got a dual 5060 drivetrain chilling in a corner…what kind of specs do you need?

2 Likes
  1. Changed from DIYE to vanpro for the motor mount / drivetrain (I also had to swap manufacturers for the motor to get one with a 10mm shaft)
  2. I found a more expensive charger that’s rated for 6A here:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32707176857.html
    Would this be a more viable option?
  3. I think he’s temporarily down due to issues in his home country (I don’t mind the prices for the trucks listed on amazon, although I would like to support him if I can)
  4. Good Idea. I never thought about that since I built my last two skateboards with phillips and didn’t change out any hardware after I first assemble it.
1 Like

@Rossy, couldn’t see your wish list. But what components you choose to use should be based on what you wish to achieve, riding style and budget. The stuff that @esk8manbabes is suggesting will give you a top notch premium build. It’ll be heavier and fairly expensive to make. If you’re only looking to commute or are not looking for something that beefy, there’s nothing wrong with smaller motors and a smaller battery, as long as the parts used are of good quality. I for one actually really like my little mono drive build. Small battery and deck too, but man is it easy to carry around and get on the train with. Not great for group rides. All depends what you want.
Just make sure you research before making your choice. It’s worth it to spend some time on here. Checking out build threads.
Cheers

2 Likes

I’m not entirely sure at this point. The end goal is for this to be a fun project for me to work on and figure out. I probably won’t push the board above 25mph, but it will be used on some decent inclines (living in Cincinnati, OH). I weigh about 170 lbs. Other than that, I’m open to suggestions. (Trying to avoid going above 700 USD for parts, but if I have to, I can)

I’d mostly be using this to ride around with my roommate (he bought a complete from somewhere last year on sale) as well as the 5-10 minute commute to classes (once the weather improves).

I was actually planning on doing it the other way around, that way I don’t end up without enough space on the board due to messing up some spacing calculations. Is there an advantage to doing it deck-first that I’m just not seeing?

1 Like

I got this, battery and charger are going to my roommate but if you wanna make an offer for the drivetrain I’ll probably go for it. The wheels aren’t great but they are easy to replace

1 Like

Sounds like this would be a very nice and powerful board, but it might be out of my scope for what I’ll be using this for. However, I would like to slowly upgrade my board with nicer parts (or even build a second one) once I get my first build up and running, just getting a feel for how everything works together.

1 Like

Would you be including the attached motors as well? Also what bearings are in those wheels?

Comes as is, hardware/pads/bearings…all of it in a medium flat rate box

Not sure, its just generic steel bearings, I mean they roll freely

1 Like

i guess your way works also…for me i got my battery first then the deck and enclosure. ended up the battery fit inside my enclosure…but my enclosure didn’t fit well on my deck. I guess what I’m saying is be mindful of deck battery and enclosure space/fitting.

2 Likes

I think I’ll make my own enclosure once I have all the parts together, so I might be able to avoid some issues just by building the enclosure around the parts.

1 Like

I would either buy the deck and enclosure first and fill it with cells or buy the deck first, cover the bottom with cells, then make an enclosure to fit.

If you’re looking for cost efficiency on making an enclosure, Bondo fibergalss from Wal-Mart will actually work. Just make sure its thick. Also make sure you can tolerate bad smells and huge messes. Use several layers, at minimum three layers of fabric, i’d recommend 4 or more. And send between layers, and don’t be afraid to fuck things up, and wear a mask when you sand it or drill or cut your holes.

I use eboosted enclosures but they are far far from budget. They’re actually quite expensive, but they’re also the cleanest, and best looking enclosures you can get. And they are tough af.

5 Likes

Based on my own experience if I could do it over again I’d go for broke from the start with the best that’s out there.

Sure I learnt a lot along the way but it also cost a bit getting there.

The way I see it now is if I would go for less I would run in to things like overheating, not enough range, sag. Come to think of it, I still run into these things now.
:thinking:
:crazy_face::gun:

@Lionpuncher is right though. It depends what you’re going to mainly use it for in which case this build will mostly only serve one purpose and you’ll build more to serve others.

:raised_back_of_hand: :hole: :dollar:

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forum @Rossy another way you could go is with a kit board. this would ensure you have everything you need and it fits together at the onset. there are vendors here who sell kits. if they are too rich for your first foray into esk8 there are some completed kits for sale in the

https://forum.esk8.news/c/esk8-parts-market

example:

4 Likes

If I were to buy the Drivetrain / motors from @ZachTetra , what would be some compatible ESCs?
Potentially this one?:

I’d also probably have to upgrade my power supply from the 6s 6Ah battery to 2 of them in parallel to handle the increased draw, right?

1 Like

It’s a good speed at 6s or 8s, that esc will be fine

1 Like

You’re going to want to keep that ESC under 40 amps battery draw if you want it to last a while.

1 Like

THIIIIS!!!

Finding an enclosure to fit the deck and guts is always where I start. otherwise the likelihood of good fit is small. I have a pile of decks and enclosures that don’t match agreeing with me.

4 Likes

Yes, because the deck is one of the most personal parts of your build. If you’re unsure, make some time to visit a skate shop and stand on a bunch of different decks to get a feel for what you want.

3 Likes