Let It All Burn; Batteries, That Is

The chipper music under those flames feels so… disturbing.

2 Likes

you should layer the inside of the case with some fire retardant material.
Fire rated sheet rocks would do the job well.
and maybe route the vent to some hepa filter

You’d need to cool the smoke/gases first and also have an organic vapor filter. But so much gas/smoke is created so quickly that I don’t think it can be handled by filtration reasonably well (without being huge) versus simply venting to the outside.

A disposable liner (fire-rated sheet rock, cement board, mineral cloth, etc.) is a good idea though as the soot is toxic and carcinogenic and replacing the liner would be much better than trying to clean the box.

I love that guy

1 Like

Measures temp of the box interior… read “Hi” :fire:

1 Like

That is fucking terrifying.
I just bought a few ammo boxes to store my LiPos and P42A cells for the time being, but seeing that video doesn’t inspire much confidence that my ammo box wouldn’t turn into a fighter jet engine if anything combusted.
Scary shit guys…

2 Likes

Just thinkin…
with a good fireproof cover
could be a safe place to charge and/or store our rides

7 Likes

Lol i keep suspect batteries in the fireplace :rofl:

4 Likes

not sure if using those battery to warm ur home is a good thing or not

5 Likes

it even vents out… perfect

1 Like

you don’t have a trapdoor for persons evacuation?

used for when someone with a J initial is intruding.

1 Like

Good thick shrapnel protection (if using metal ones) but don’t close those boxes unless you remove the rubber seal. Otherwise the pressure buildup (in case of thermal runaway) will cause the box to burst. Even removing the seal might not allow the pressure to escape fast enough…I just don’t know.

1 Like

Sounds like a great idea to test (obviously standing behind something quite solid and filming for YT) :wink:

2 Likes

Being in Manhattan, my destructive testing days are over.
This neighborhood really frowns on things going boom in the night. :grin:

3 Likes

I talked this over with a group of my custom car guys. None of them are lion knowledgeable and we didn’t consider the gas. My intent was to not destroy a car and bikes that are in the same area.

The best we came up with was a firebrick built box with drywall liner. It wouldn’t be sealed but may be better than nothing.

Around the same time I had access to a fire storage box from the hospital. I didn’t take it after looking at the ratings. I can’t recall what they were, though.

The last idea we had was to weld two steel drums together for the height and sack of sand on the underside of the lid. Like I said before, we didn’t consider the pressure build up.

I purchased this ammo box after watching this video:

With the seal removed on my ammo box there’s a gap of a few mm between the latch, so if you lift up on the lid (or if there were gasses in the box) there is a very small gap between the lid for some gasses to escape:

In the YouTube videos test it vents the gasses of a 5000mah LiPo through the small gap in the front fine, but like you said, that gap might not be enough to allow the pressure to escape fast enough, especially if its two high capacity LiPos or something similar. :confused:
at this point I might just store my LiPos in my fireplace…

1 Like

drill some holes?

You know it’s going to vent. You know it’s going to shoot flame. All you can do is contain that as best as possible, to stop other things from catching fire. Anticipate that smoke/flame path and store accordingly.

2 Likes

I agree with @sleepless…smoke, poison gas, and flames are getting out no matter what. You might as well create a way to direct that so as it’s happening you could toss the box outside without burning the hand or having it shoot smoke/gas directly at you?

1 Like

In the test video the gap I mentioned earlier seems to direct the gasses/fire downwards.
You think I should put holes in it? If so where should I put them

I don’t have any recommendations as that’s your safety we’re talking about and only you can make those decisions. But if everything is already blowing down then perhaps that’s already enough?

If any holes were put in then personally I wouldn’t want them blowing stuff in my face or out from all around the box, I would want them blowing everything in the direction of my choosing that didn’t interfere with grabbing the handle or getting the box outside.

Think about how you would want to personally handle a pack fire. What would you do if a pack caught fire? Would you try to get the box outside? Would you even try to move it or would you just evacuate and call the fire department?

Then create a box and box storage location that helps you deal with the fire the way you want to, as best as possible with as little damage as possible (without impacting your safety).

1 Like