Known bad firmware versions VESC/UNITY [ SERIOUS ]

Absolutely correct.

1 Like

Im creating a new topic specifically for the oscillating motor problem, if you want I can tag LHB or something to clean this up, didnt mean to steal your wiki out from under you.

nice. :slight_smile:

a little chatter is fine. no worries. more concerned with getting it better understood.

1 Like

Fess… I wonder if this has anything to do with that weird ass webble-wobble that my board was experiencing when we sk8ed last?

But it was all Unity and Unity FW… Never changed… Never fucked with the settings… I postulated the experience had something to do with traction control… I know it wasn’t from thermal throttling or max duty cycles…

I honestly haven’t fukked with that board since…

1 Like

cross linking that you did.

1 Like

I’m guessing no. because those wobbles weren’t occuring at max duty cycle which I think the other issue is about.

maybe traction control? maybe just something too loose?

1 Like

out of boredom I just checked… traction control was turned off… I know by default it was turned off, but I know 100% i activated it…

so I’ma gunna charge up the board and giver a test with traction control activated!

EDIT:
what’s everyone using currently for Max eRPM difference in setting up traction control?

3 Likes

You should calculate it from your gearing, voltage and motor kV. Usually using a calculator to find your top speed, top ERPM and dividing it to get a 3-5KM/h difference is usually enough.

2 Likes

Stock 3000ERPM, about 3kmh with my gearing.

1 Like

a qwik 10 mile run…
traction control on… the saved eRPM, or default was 3k eRPM… i used that…
it drove pretty OK… no low speed wobbles except over some wonky terrain, lowered the eRPM to 2500 which pretty much equates to 3 km/hr on my setup…

much much betterer, it was kinda hot so I’m going to charge the board back up and go back out testing this evening…

science

this chatter also deserves it’s own thread. “Traction control tuning != known bad firmware versions” :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

flag my belligerent, non-rule following self, @fessyfoo, if you feel it detracts from the thread…

I promise I’ll not be bitter!!!

:currency_exchange: :eyes: :dash:

1 Like

So with all that being said, what FW can be considered to be safe to use?

Without digging for 2016 reported bugs, 5.1 with duty cycle current limit start at 85% if your board can top out the speed limit

3 Likes

Sorry but I don’t understand what you mean by that :frowning:
I have a VESC 4.2 and 6.6. What FW would be the best to use?

1 Like

Use latest firmware. (That’s FW 5.1)

To mitigate the duty cycle limit bug / unintended feature, You want to set duty cycle current limit start to 85%, as @Athrx mentioned.

Then, if you’re using motors with temperature sensors, to mitigate the incorrect temperature filtering bug, you want to set your thermal limits to start at 75 degrees, end at 100, or maybe start at 85 degrees, end at 120. Basically you want the window between the 2 values to be larger than the default 15 degrees.

4 Likes

Triple point for duty cycle current limit start, NOT max duty cycle! Should be right under it

I say this because there have been people that stop reading after duty cycle and end up making their boards even more dangerous. If you need more guidance we’re in the noob questions thread to help

5 Likes

I’ve been bumping the duty cycle current limit start up from 85% by 1% each ride. 90% has given me no issues and I think I’m going to call it quits there since I have to be going ~45mph to hit that.

Every board is different, I had one that was having weird issues at 90%. Be careful and pad up when changing settings :call_me_hand:

4 Likes

I just found out that my FSESC 6.6 is running on 3.62 haha.
There even is no such setting in the VESC tool like “duty cycle current limit start” for this version. It works fine for me since 1500km, I might just stick with it. I do not have motor thermistors so no promlems there.

1 Like

On escs that are by good qc or pure luck within very good tolerances you can probably leave it at 100%
On any 2 controllers that have even 0.1v readouts that get worse under load, one starts cutting out before the other and shit sucks

2 Likes