Keeping a Mountainboard build light | First build

Everything you said, I agree with and would only be repeating by giving my ¢0.02.

@bwahl602 did some interesting math the other day about threaded inserts.

I have ~20 in my bottom mount enclosure, and only 4 in my top mounted box.

I have yet to raw weigh them for an exact measure but I quote

“The biggest difference (brass) is the weight. The soft inserts weigh 0.032 ounces each. The hardwood weighs 0.212 ounces each. Multiply that by 24 for some of these MTB enclosures and you could be adding 1/4 to 1/2 a pound to the board’s weight.”

5 Likes

Hum i’m not sure if I understand The board has somewhat tip ends and came with these trucks

Should I get longboard trucks (something like caliber II trucks) or some other MTB trucks.
If I keep the current trucks what would be the best motor mounts that fit these?

I saw this pack from Flipsky which seems like a good deal.
They also have a smaller and cheaper pack with 6354 motors.

For the battery, i’m thinking of going with a top case (haha) and 2 or 3 lipos - I have had good experience with Tattu and CNHL lipos with my drones.

Don’t get longboard trucks for a MTB. You’ll want channel trucks.

1 Like

I’m about to order everything - would love some last minute tips before I spend $$$$

• Has anybody ordered form Flipsky, how long did it take to reach the US? Good quality?
  • This FlipSky Bundle seems like a good package , are there other options I’m missing?
  • Can I go with 6354 or will they be underpowered for this MTB board (i weight 165 lbs)
  • I’m still not sure what to use for the motor mounts (thinking of keeping the trucks I shared to save on cost) - any advice?

@PixelatedPolyeurthan thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

1 Like

I wouldn’t FlipSky, buy twice pay twice and all, but others may differ.

Also, there’s more than one way to make an MTB light.

3 Likes

dude, just buy this. he’s like :30 min from you, you should at least check it out

WTS Complete Mountain board build 10s14p $550 plus shipping?

has a lot of the same parts or better than the flipsky kit. Drop the lipos in there and loose a couple pounds of lithium :v:

4 Likes

Amen brotha!! I can also make a smaller lighter battery in a smaller box, and all the parts have been tested and proven to work well! Even the flipsky!

1 Like

only you can answer this. I will say that the TB6355’s that are on @Skyart 's board are the same motors I have on a street build and they have a very respectable amount of power.

3 Likes

My 6355s get me up a 20-30% grade no problem! The gearing ration on my build is 14:72 on 8" wheels, if you are local to bay area you are free to try out the board any time!

1 Like

if I did flipsky, it would be a 6.6, hehe.
I had that 4.2 and destroyed it in about a month of riding on thane. YMMV, but I’d stay away from that 4.2FESC

3 Likes

So much this, then upgrade from there. Hey @Skyart, clean it up before shipping, okay?!

[edit] FWIW had I been in the US, this would have been sold a long time ago. [/edit]

2 Likes

@tiennou74 honestly you always have to buy twice with flipsky. @Skyart package will be much much better. If there are some things you don’t like then sell those parts and get better ones. You can’t beat @Skyart offer especially if you live only 30min away.

The things I would personally upgrade if I bought that would be the trucks, wheels(depending if you want to do some heavy off road) and then maybe the esc.

Up to you :grinning:
Also in the US, TB is the best esk8 vendor.

1 Like

@Skyart I’m in Marin so close by (I also work in downtown SF) - if you are free this weekend, I’d love to meet up :wink:

3 Likes

@IDEA just sent me some details - man they are sick!

2 Likes

They’re heavy though with the cross bars. I just shipped my old set out from idea and it was close to 2.5 lbs. Definitely sexy though.

Still thinking of starting this build!
I wanted to verify if I need angles risers for this board. I heard you need at least 30 degrees

Also what do you recommend for pulleys/belt based on the current wheels (I might upgrade to MBS rockstar pro but need to check the weight)?

1 Like

We tried and failed to find pulleys for tri-spoke hubs so yeah upgrade the wheels fosho also the tires are trash just so you know.

Mbs sells pulleys for those hubs (rockstar) now just FYI

1 Like

Could that be those one ? https://eskating.eu/product/htd-5m-72-teeth-nylon-carbon-pulley-for-mbs-fivestar-rockstar-hubs/#reviews

1 Like

I am glad others agree.

Though usually I don’t care about looks, but this is a hindrance to actually using the board for transportation. How the fuck you ride in small train seat with that? How does it fit in a shopping cart/trolley? How strong are you to carry it in buildings every day?

Those might be good for weekend toys, but if moving around a city is your goal, those aren’t for me.