Janux IC (Inter-Changeable) Dual Gear Drive

Are they low? Comperd to belt drive?

Low is relative to the size of wheel pulley you use. Belt drive with 50t pulley on 107mm wheel results in ~13mm clearance between road and pulley as oppose to 25mm with 36t.

For gear drive, ~13mm is the clearance between the road and gear housing.

1 Like

Tnx for the good info but I meant to say are they loud?

They are as loud ad belt system. @Bobby can attest to that.

They are not that loud, but the noise they make sound so good. Went on a ride with Bobby and they sound so good

2 Likes

can’t wait to see those!

They can with dual 6355 which is way more than enough motor. Plus, it’s a lot lighter.

I will attest to that this! I was quite surprised how much power i get from dual 6355. I top out at 33-35mph with 17/42 gearing. Enough torque to conquer any hill too! Here is the metr of my fastest speed so far. Sorry it’s in kilometers.

6 Likes

Would be awesome.

https://www.janux-esk8.com/gear-drive-system
SR RKP installation guide

Motor Prep:

Wrap motor in plastic wrap or paper to prevent shaving from sticking to magnets:

Final shaft length ~15mm measured from motor plate

Installing Motor Plate :

1. Locate PressFit mounts and motor plates.

2. Apply blue Loctite to thread and mate plate to PressFit mount.

3. Apply blue Loctite to thread, loosely install motor (6355 up to 6374) to plate

4. Using provided Pressfit block, torque down axle to seat motor mount adapter assembly.

5. Apply Loctite to thread, lock down setscrews.

Installing Motor Gear :

1. Locate motor gear and 3mm key.

2. Double folds a piece a paper (~0.5 to 0.75mm) to serve as shim between motor plate and gear, apply Loctite to thread, tap key into keyway flush with gear, lock down setscrew.

Backlash adjustment :

1. Locate gear/Pressfit wheel adapter, bearing, 70mm SR shoulder bolt (provided by SR), silver and black spacers (provided by SR).

2. Assemble gear to Pressfit wheel adapter

3. Press gear/adapter to wheel, slide silver SR spacer and bearing onto shaft.

4. Slide wheel assembly onto axle and insert black spacer, torque down axle bolt, spur gears are now loosely engaged.

5. Place a folded paper in between the spur gear and the pinion

6. Lockdown the outside hex bolts.

7. Remove the wheel assembly, lockdown the remaining inner bolts.

Installing the motor housing :

1. Locate the housing and V-ring.

2. Insert gear/Pressfit assembly thru housing opening.

3. Lightly grease the V-ring, slide over spur boss.

4. Guide assembly onto wheel ( Do not press on housing ).

Place wheel on table, press on spur gear ( not housing ) to wheel.

1. Insert SR silver spacer, bearing, black spacer onto shaft

Final assembly :

1. Apply grease to gears, slide housing assembly to motor plate.

2. Complete drive gear system.

ENJOY!

10 Likes

Looks like the key extends past the end of the motor gear. Do you cut the key? In the later pictures it looks like the key isn’t being used. Are the set screws enough?

Key was shown to extend past the end of the motor gear is for illustration purpose. The final assembly had the key inserted into the keyway with setscrew torque down on top of the key.

Hi Janux,
i am interested in the TKP version. Are you also selling it as a kit including the trucks?

Does the TKP gear drive force you to mount backwards?

1 Like

Hey, I only have one set that I am using as prototype for various projects. You would need to obtain your own with 70mm axles.

Yes, due to the interference of the kingpin.

1 Like

Maybe you should note that. It’s silly mounting like that for most people…

2 Likes

Hmm - thats kind of the problem. I currently can find only the rkp version here in europe from sickboards. But i will investigate further. Thanks a lot for answering!

1 Like

subjective…

5 Likes

Depends on the deck.

2 Likes